College signing day: McKeesport teammates announce
College Football Videos
McKeesport's Delvon Simmons, who had scholarship offers from some of the country's top college football programs, said Wednesday he will sign with North Carolina.
His teammate, Branden Jackson, will sign with Texas Tech.
Clairton's Green headed to Texas Tech
Clairton's Desimon Green, a highly recruited defensive end, signed this morning with Texas Tech.
Green, who was the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 2010 Player of the Year, chose the Red Raiders over Pitt.
He had verbally committed to Pitt in the fall but rescinded that commitment the day coach Dave Wannstedt stepped down.
Pitts sticks with PITT
Woodland Hills' Lafayette Pitts has chosen Pitt after all.
The star senior had verbally committed to Pitt in June, but later changed his mind and flipped to Rutgers. Now, he has returned to the Panthers.
The 6-foot, 185-pound cornerback announced early this morning at a letter of intent signing ceremony that he will be sending his letter to Pitt's Todd Graham, a significant recruiting victory for the new coach.
When Graham was handed the fax from one of his aides, he shouted, "All right, baby," and embraced director of football relations Bob Junko and cornerback coach Tony Gibson.
Pitts was recruited to Rutgers by assistant coaches Frank Cignetti and Jeff Hafley, who had recruited him to Pitt under former coach Dave Wannstedt's regime.
But Pitt was unable to land linebacker Ejuan Price, who remained committed to Ohio State.
Also signing were Quinton Jefferson (Maryland), Jevonte Pitts (Pitt), James Price (Akron), Jullian Turner (New Hampshire) and Ronald Tyler (California, Pa.).
Pitt inks THREE
Pitt received its first three solid commitments under the regime of new coach Todd Graham today when offensive lineman Artie Rowell of Central Dauphin and wide receivers Ronald Jones of Fort Meade, Fla., and Darius Patton of Poland, Ohio, faxed their letters of intent to the coaching staff.
Patton is a former student at Penn Hills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds