District college notes, Sept. 27
College Football Videos
• The St. Vincent men and Washington & Jefferson women won the team titles at the Presidents' Athletic Conference Fall Golf Invitational, which ended Tuesday. St. Vincent's Micah Markantone (Franklin Regional) earned medalist honors with a two-day total of 3-over-par 145. For the women, Grove City's Esther Durling placed first with a 162. Jennifer Suder (Seneca Valley) led W&J at 171.
• St. Francis (Pa.) golfer Ann Colligan (Kittanning) won the individual title for the second straight year at the Cleveland State Invitational on Tuesday by shooting even-par 73. She was named Northeast Conference Women's Golf Player of the Month for the second time in her career.
• Washington & Jefferson soccer player Holly Shipley (Southmoreland) scored five goals in a 10-0 blowout of Penn State Altoona on Sunday, giving her 10 goals in the past three games.
• Field hockey coach Charlene Morett earned her 400th career win at Penn State with a 7-1 victory over No. 24 Indiana on Friday. The sixth-ranked Nittany Lions (10-2, 2-0 Big Ten) visit No. 10 Northwestern on Friday.
• The Indiana (Pa.) field hockey team (8-2, 5-0) remained fourth in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division II poll despite a victory over then-No. 1 Shippensburg. This week, the Crimson Hawks host No. 8 LIU Post on Friday and No. 10 East Stroudsburg on Saturday.
• The No. 9 Slippery Rock field hockey team (6-3), off to its best start since 1997, hosts No. 1 West Chester at 1 p.m. Friday.
• The Duquesne volleyball team (13-5, 2-0 Atlantic 10) is on a four-match winning streak. Senior middle hitter Ashley Buse (Moon) ranks third in the conference with a .347 hitting percentage.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at 82
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- Riverview embracing underdog role in WPIAL first-round win
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end