District college notes, Sept. 27
College Football Videos
• The St. Vincent men and Washington & Jefferson women won the team titles at the Presidents' Athletic Conference Fall Golf Invitational, which ended Tuesday. St. Vincent's Micah Markantone (Franklin Regional) earned medalist honors with a two-day total of 3-over-par 145. For the women, Grove City's Esther Durling placed first with a 162. Jennifer Suder (Seneca Valley) led W&J at 171.
• St. Francis (Pa.) golfer Ann Colligan (Kittanning) won the individual title for the second straight year at the Cleveland State Invitational on Tuesday by shooting even-par 73. She was named Northeast Conference Women's Golf Player of the Month for the second time in her career.
• Washington & Jefferson soccer player Holly Shipley (Southmoreland) scored five goals in a 10-0 blowout of Penn State Altoona on Sunday, giving her 10 goals in the past three games.
• Field hockey coach Charlene Morett earned her 400th career win at Penn State with a 7-1 victory over No. 24 Indiana on Friday. The sixth-ranked Nittany Lions (10-2, 2-0 Big Ten) visit No. 10 Northwestern on Friday.
• The Indiana (Pa.) field hockey team (8-2, 5-0) remained fourth in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division II poll despite a victory over then-No. 1 Shippensburg. This week, the Crimson Hawks host No. 8 LIU Post on Friday and No. 10 East Stroudsburg on Saturday.
• The No. 9 Slippery Rock field hockey team (6-3), off to its best start since 1997, hosts No. 1 West Chester at 1 p.m. Friday.
• The Duquesne volleyball team (13-5, 2-0 Atlantic 10) is on a four-match winning streak. Senior middle hitter Ashley Buse (Moon) ranks third in the conference with a .347 hitting percentage.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State-owned universities spend millions in race to snare students
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Innovation enhances Philadelphia’s history as Democrats convene, Pope Francis visits
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Keystone Markers give insights about towns but have fallen victim to time, theft or traffic accidents
- Pakistani military says it achieved major victory over Islamist terrorists
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia