District college notes, Sept. 27
College Football Videos
• The St. Vincent men and Washington & Jefferson women won the team titles at the Presidents' Athletic Conference Fall Golf Invitational, which ended Tuesday. St. Vincent's Micah Markantone (Franklin Regional) earned medalist honors with a two-day total of 3-over-par 145. For the women, Grove City's Esther Durling placed first with a 162. Jennifer Suder (Seneca Valley) led W&J at 171.
• St. Francis (Pa.) golfer Ann Colligan (Kittanning) won the individual title for the second straight year at the Cleveland State Invitational on Tuesday by shooting even-par 73. She was named Northeast Conference Women's Golf Player of the Month for the second time in her career.
• Washington & Jefferson soccer player Holly Shipley (Southmoreland) scored five goals in a 10-0 blowout of Penn State Altoona on Sunday, giving her 10 goals in the past three games.
• Field hockey coach Charlene Morett earned her 400th career win at Penn State with a 7-1 victory over No. 24 Indiana on Friday. The sixth-ranked Nittany Lions (10-2, 2-0 Big Ten) visit No. 10 Northwestern on Friday.
• The Indiana (Pa.) field hockey team (8-2, 5-0) remained fourth in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division II poll despite a victory over then-No. 1 Shippensburg. This week, the Crimson Hawks host No. 8 LIU Post on Friday and No. 10 East Stroudsburg on Saturday.
• The No. 9 Slippery Rock field hockey team (6-3), off to its best start since 1997, hosts No. 1 West Chester at 1 p.m. Friday.
• The Duquesne volleyball team (13-5, 2-0 Atlantic 10) is on a four-match winning streak. Senior middle hitter Ashley Buse (Moon) ranks third in the conference with a .347 hitting percentage.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Flyers’ success in Pittsburgh stems from power play
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Developer delays renovation plans for Northway Mall
- Police investigate pair of fatal rush hour incidents in Shaler, Marshall
- Obama vetoes union election bill; streamlined election process to move forward
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Husband of accused drug-dealing teacher faces his own drug, intimidation charges
- Monessen police investigating drive-by shooting
- Burrell wrestler Beattie picks Pitt-Johnstown
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Man awaiting trial for offering drugs to 2 teens found hanged in his Belle Vernon home