Former QV soccer player honored in consecutive weeks at W&J
College Football Videos
Being honored once is special; twice can be overwhelming.
Former Quaker Valley soccer player Kelsey Kraus, a senior forward for Washington & Jefferson, was named the Presidents' Athletic Conference Women's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week for the week of Oct. 7 and then followed up with the same honor for the week of Oct. 13.
Kraus, who starred at Quaker Valley from 2005-09, scored three goals to lead Washington & Jefferson (9-6-1) to two PAC wins during the most recent week.
“It's really exciting,” Kraus said of the recognition. “I have been working hard. It's definitely an honor and exciting because it's my last year.”
Kraus, who also plays lacrosse in the spring, started off her strong week with two goals in a 6-0 win over Chatham in PAC action on Oct. 10. The Presidents also got a goal from Kraus in a 2-1 overtime win over Grove City on Oct. 13.
The Sewickley native, who was named to the all-section team during senior year in high school in 2008, is now having another strong senior campaign. Kraus has recorded seven goals and three assists.
Besides the two-goal game against Chatham, Kraus recorded two goals against Penn State Altoona on Sept. 23.
“I think it's because it's my last year,” Kraus said of her breakout season. “I have been going out there and giving it all in practices and in the games.”
Kraus also could credit having fresh legs this season, after taking off her junior season to study abroad during the fall semester in 2011. Kraus wanted to capitalize on the once-and-a-lifetime opportunity offered by the college. The psychology major went to Australia from June-October.
“It was a tough decision,” Kraus said. “I definitely was torn. The girl (Brittany Fradkin) I went with plays lacrosse, so she wanted to go during the fall. I was pleased that my soccer coach was understanding and was excited to get me back for my senior year.”
For her career, Kraus has scored 12 goals in 50 games for the Presidents. Kraus also has been successful on the lacrosse field at Washington & Jefferson with 34 goals and 14 assists in 42 games.
This fall, Kraus has led the Presidents to another strong regular season. They entered the week 9-6-1 overall and 5-1-1 in the PAC.
“I'm just having fun with it out there,” Kraus said. “I love being back with the team.”
Kraus and the Presidents will look to finish strong this season with a big matchup against PAC leader Thomas More on Saturday to wrap up the regular season.
Andrew John is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Martial law replaced in Thailand by security order
- Former Pittsburgh teacher to stand trial on felony charge involving student
- Bethel Park Police arrest 3 for thefts at Walmart
- Duquesne grants release for 2 men’s basketball players
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steelers WR Washington joins Texans after signing 1-year deal
- Review committee forwards 4 names to Allegheny County Council for appointment