College basketball notebook: Duquesne women picked to finish 4th in A-10
College Football Videos
The Duquesne women's basketball was picked to finish fourth in the 16-team Atlantic 10 this season, according to a vote of the league's head coaches Wednesday.
The Dukes, who made a WNIT appearance last season, received three first-place votes and 204 points in the preseason poll.
Defending A-10 champion Dayton (seven first-place votes, 239 points) was selected first, following by Richmond (1, 207) and Charlotte (1, 206).
Duquesne juniors Wumi Agunbiade and Orsi Szecsi were chosen for the preseason Atlantic 10 first team and second team, respectively. Senior Jocelyn Floyd was named to the All-Defensive team.
Dayton center suspended
Dayton center Matt Kavanaugh was suspended for the academic year because he violated the school's code of conduct, making him ineligible to play for the Flyers.
The 6-foot-9 senior started 33 games last season and finished fifth in the Atlantic 10 with 97 offensive rebounds. He averaged 9 points and 5.9 rebounds.
The school declined to give details of his misconduct because of privacy laws.
BYU forward's career over
Recurring knee problems ended the playing career of BYU senior forward Stephen Rogers.
The 6-foot-8 Rogers was part of a BYU team that won a school-record 32 games in 2010-11 and reached the Sweet 16.
He got off to a strong start last season, averaging 9.9 points and hitting 15 3s in the first 10 games before tearing the meniscus in his right knee.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Flooding forces evacuation of Ligonier Township residents
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- Artist born without arms, legs gives Hampton students peek into her world
- Man found fatally shot in Washington
- Rossi: Pirates’ post-Martin plan comes with a catch or 2
- Pitt’s Wright excelling in classroom
- Monessen school staffer punished for issuing '50 Shades' quiz
- ‘Big Mo’ ranks with A-K’s gridiron greats
- Unity planners OK proposal for Route 30 retail development