College football notebook: Robert Morris lineman finalist for national award
College Football Videos
Robert Morris defensive end Nolan Nearhoof, a Mars graduate, was named among 15 finalists for the William V. Campbell Trophy, given to the top scholar-athlete in college football.
The finalists are chosen by the National Football Foundation from all levels of college football, and each receives an $18,000 post-graduate scholarship. The winner will receive an additional $7,000 scholarship.
The Campbell Trophy will be awarded Dec. 4 at the NFF's Hall of Fame banquet in New York.
Other finalists are Southern Cal quarterback Matt Barkley, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o, Alabama center Barrett Jones, Nebraska running back Rex Burkhead, Texas Tech safety Cody Davis, Mount Union safety Nick Driskill, Baylor quarterback Nick Florence, Northern Illinois defensive tackle Nabal Jefferson, West Texas A&M offensive lineman Aaron Mullane, Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib, MIT offensive lineman Ethan Peterson, Duke quarterback Sean Renfree, Northwestern offensive lineman Patrick Ward and Saint Xavier (Ill.) receiver Shane Zackery.
Sports talk-show host fired for Howard tweet
Scott Torgerson, a Columbus, Ohio, sports talk-show host who was suspended after he tweeted he wished ESPN's Desmond Howard would get fired or die, was fired by his station.
WBNS 97.1 The Fan, an ESPN affiliate and the flagship station for Ohio State athletics, confirmed the move on Twitter on Wednesday, but the station's general manager didn't return a call seeking comment.
Torgerson tweeted 10 days ago that he wished Howard, who played for Ohio State's chief rival Michigan, would get fired or die so Torgerson could again watch ESPN's College GameDay.
Nebraska officials warning about fake tickets
Nebraska athletic ticket officials are warning fans to be careful when buying tickets.
Officials discovered 18 counterfeit tickets were sold on Craigslist for the Sept. 29 game against Wisconsin.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Penguins centermen enjoying better faceoff success rate
- College football notebook: Richt out at Georgia; Miles staying put at LSU
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation
- High school notebook: TJ, Clairton head into enemy territory
- Soutmoreland girls basketball team primary goal: playoffs
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Clinton’s $275 billion jobs program tied to infrastructure
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport