Cal (Pa.) offensive linemen grades out well
College Football Videos
Chet Welc, a 2008 graduate of Mt. Pleasant High School and senior offensive lineman at California (Pa.) University, has been selected to the Capital One Academic All-District First-Team for the second year in a row.
The announcement was made by the College Sports Information Directors of America. As a first-team selection, Welc is eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America Team.
In the past two seasons, Welc has started 23 consecutive games at right tackle. Prior to his switch to right tackle, Welc played tight end for the Vulcans in 2009-10. Welc is part of an offensive line that helped the Vulcans average 417.2 yards of total offense and 30.7 points per game.
Welc is pursuing a master's degree in school administration and has a bachelor's degree in secondary education with a concentration in social studies. He has posted a 3.66 cumulative GPA.
In order to be eligible for all-district honors, athletes must maintain a 3.30 GPA. Nominees must have participated in at least 50 percent of their team's games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Federal judge denies Spanier bid to halt criminal case
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- ’80s, ’90s kids show ‘Cappelli and Company’ finds new life on TV, online
- Monroeville oxycodone dealer to spend 10 years in prison
- Performers create Princess magic for balls and birthdays
- Ohio exhibit on real Johnny Appleseed will hit the road
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden in North Fayette to open first phase
- South Fayette High School backs out of federal lunch program
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?