Cal (Pa.) offensive linemen grades out well
College Football Videos
Chet Welc, a 2008 graduate of Mt. Pleasant High School and senior offensive lineman at California (Pa.) University, has been selected to the Capital One Academic All-District First-Team for the second year in a row.
The announcement was made by the College Sports Information Directors of America. As a first-team selection, Welc is eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America Team.
In the past two seasons, Welc has started 23 consecutive games at right tackle. Prior to his switch to right tackle, Welc played tight end for the Vulcans in 2009-10. Welc is part of an offensive line that helped the Vulcans average 417.2 yards of total offense and 30.7 points per game.
Welc is pursuing a master's degree in school administration and has a bachelor's degree in secondary education with a concentration in social studies. He has posted a 3.66 cumulative GPA.
In order to be eligible for all-district honors, athletes must maintain a 3.30 GPA. Nominees must have participated in at least 50 percent of their team's games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates past Mets
- Housing authority officer shot dead in New Orleans
- Indianapolis 500 notebook: Ganassi drivers stumble early
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Senator Warren calls for public hearings on bank waivers
- Yellowstone injuries: Slips, falls outpace bear maulings
- Thrill of the chase: Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Navy divers to salvage remains of Confederate warship in Georgia
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Man shot while driving through Liberty Tunnel