Cal (Pa.) offensive linemen grades out well
College Football Videos
Chet Welc, a 2008 graduate of Mt. Pleasant High School and senior offensive lineman at California (Pa.) University, has been selected to the Capital One Academic All-District First-Team for the second year in a row.
The announcement was made by the College Sports Information Directors of America. As a first-team selection, Welc is eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America Team.
In the past two seasons, Welc has started 23 consecutive games at right tackle. Prior to his switch to right tackle, Welc played tight end for the Vulcans in 2009-10. Welc is part of an offensive line that helped the Vulcans average 417.2 yards of total offense and 30.7 points per game.
Welc is pursuing a master's degree in school administration and has a bachelor's degree in secondary education with a concentration in social studies. He has posted a 3.66 cumulative GPA.
In order to be eligible for all-district honors, athletes must maintain a 3.30 GPA. Nominees must have participated in at least 50 percent of their team's games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lopsided loss to Eagles shows Steelers have issues aplenty
- Steelers notebook: Spence’s future uncertain after reinjuring knee
- Kentucky firefighters recovering from ice stunt shocks
- Gorman: McNeilly Road rivalry renewed
- Woman shot dead, mother wounded in Hill District shooting
- HSFB preview by position: Familiar faces coaching in new places
- Rossi: Time with Penguins taught Bylsma importance of stability
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Keisel always hoped to return to Steelers
- Altered fireworks, chickens found in Interstate 79 crash in West Virginia
- Records: Steelers RB Bell admitted smoking pot before traffic stop but denied being high