Winston-Salem State ousts Shippensburg from D-II playoffs
By Staff Reports
Published: Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, 11:06 p.m.
Hindered by a season-high five turnovers, Shippensburg was no match for Winston-Salem State in its Division II playoff game Saturday.
Winston-Salem State, ranked No. 2, romped past No. 15 Shippensburg, 37-14, to advance to the quarterfinals against Indiana (Pa.).
Shippensburg (11-2), the PSAC runner-up, pulled within 7-6 in the second quarter on Brian Sourber's 63-yard interception return for a touchdown. But Winston-Salem (12-0) answered with three touchdowns in the quarter to take a 28-6 halftime lead.
Shippensburg quarterback Zach Zulli completed 25 of 56 passes for 218 yards and one touchdown with three interceptions. He finished with 54 TD passes, tying the D-II single-season record. Jacob Baskerville caught 9 passes for 114 yards.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- West Mifflin business joins forces with East Allegheny students
- Prescription Drug Take Back Day to be observed locally
- Local Episcopal priest sentenced in child pornography case
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season