Wright, Patterson shine in Blue-Gold scrimmage
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pitt junior Cameron Wright and senior Lamar Patterson each scored 25 points to lead the Gold to a 74-67 win in the Blue-Gold scrimmage on Friday night at Petersen Events Center.
Wright, who averaged 4.3 points last season, is positioning himself to become the starting shooting guard. In the first Blue-Gold scrimmage Oct. 6, he led all scorers with 27 points, including the game-winning half-court shot at the buzzer.
“Every year we've had a guy that, all of a sudden, everybody says is a lot better player,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. “He's in better shape. He's shot the ball with more arc. He's just playing really well. It's pretty evident he's going to have a really good year for us.”
Senior Talib Zanna had 19 points and a game-high 17 rebounds for the Blue.
Pitt hosts UC-San Diego in a exhibition game Oct. 25.
Notes: Satchel Pierce, a 7-foot, 250-pound center from Kiski School, attended the scrimmage. Pierce, making his first official visit, also is considering Marquette, Miami, Texas Tech, James Madison and Purdue. “He said he was going to take all five official visits, but you never know what's going to happen,” Kiski School coach Daryn Freedman said. “I was a college coach for nine years. Believe me, every time we had a kid on an official visit, we tried our darnedest to get a commitment before he left.” Pierce also is expected to attend Saturday's Pitt-Old Dominion football game at Heinz Field. “As of right now, it's just a visit,” Freedman said. “Will he make a commitment (this weekend)? Who knows?” Sophomore center Joseph Uchebo (knee) and junior forward Derrick Randall (knee) were scratched.
— John Harris
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Malkin could return Wednesday at Edmonton
- Tennessee QB considers transfer to Pitt
- Westmoreland Museum makeover draws raves
- Sax player finds fulfillment in new home
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak
- Exhibit at Kerr Museum in Oakmont explores grief during Victorian times
- Statewide program planned to train first responders on hazards of natural gas vehicles
- Burrell wrestling wins 9th straight Class AA team title
- Outdoor notices: Feb. 1, 2015
- Franklin Regional wrestling rallies to top Belle Vernon, defend team title
- Attorney’s military bearing belied giving nature