District Notebook: Duquesne volleyball off to fast start
College Football Videos
• The Duquesne women's volleyball team (15-5) is 4-0 in Atlantic 10 action, its best conference start since 1993. The Dukes visit George Washington at 7 p.m. Friday.
• The Point Park women's soccer team, in its eighth year, set a program record with its sixth win of the season, a 7-0 victory at Midway (Ky.) The Pioneers (6-2-0) can improve their mark at 3 p.m. Friday at Salem International.
• The No. 2 Gannon men's soccer team (9-1) had its best start since 1996 snapped with a 3-1 loss to Ashland on Thursday.
• The Gannon women's soccer team (8-2-1), ranked No. 15 in NCAA Division II, tied a school record with its eighth shutout of the season in a 6-0 win over Millersville on Friday.
• The Penn State Behrend men's soccer team is off to the best start in school history with a 10-1 record after beating Medaille, 3-2, in overtime on Wednesday.
• Pitt-Johnstown's Janna Stoup scored five goals last week, including game-winners against Wheeling Jesuit, West Liberty and Ohio Valley. Charleston snapped UPJ's four-game winning streak with a 1-0 win over the Mountain Cats (8-3) on Tuesday.
• Westminster junior Aaron Sutton became the first runner from the school to win a meet in 10 years when he took first with a time of 26:58 at the Bethany Invitational on Saturday.
• The Penn State women's hockey team will open its inaugural season at 2 p.m. Saturday at Vermont.
• The Allegheny men's cross country team, led by top overall finisher Bobby Over (26:01), took the team title at the Dickinson Long and Short Invitational.
• The Grove City men's cross country team placed eight runners in the top 13 to win the seven-team Bethany College Invitational on Saturday. The Grove City women also won, placing eight runners in the top 17.
• Washington & Jefferson senior Scott Ryan took second in Lehigh's Paul Short Invitational (8k) on Sept. 28 with a time of 25:49. He has finished among the top three in all three races this fall. Next up is the Carnegie Mellon Invitational on Saturday.
• Seton Hill hired Brian Tucker, a former assistant at Bloomsburg, as its wrestling coach.
• Penn State Behrend's Haley Hughes set a school record (15:51.7) in the 4K at the Dickinson Invitational.
• Washington & Jefferson men's soccer coach Ian McDonald picked up his 200th career win when the Presidents beat Franciscan, 2-1, on Sept. 27. He has a 200-171-30 record in 22 seasons.
• Point Park volleyball coach Mike Bruno recorded his 300th career win when the Pioneers beat Ursuline, 3-0, on Sept. 27.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.