Pitt women fall to Youngstown State in opener
By Staff Reports
Published: Friday, November 9, 2012, 6:16 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The Pitt women's basketball team opened the 2012-13 season with a 64-50 loss to Youngstown State at Petersen Events Center on Friday.
Leading by 12 points at halftime, the Panthers missed 10 of their first 12 shots of the second half and the Penguins cut the lead to just seven points with 12:24 remaining. Pitt followed with a nine-minute scoring drought and Youngstown State took the lead. The Panthers got no closer than four points for the rest of the game.
The Penguins tied a Petersen Events Center record with 12 3-pointers, the most by an opponent since Duquesne hit 12 on Dec. 3, 2003. Pitt shot just 22.2 percent from the field in the second half, scoring a total of 17 points.
Not including an exhibition win over Lock Haven last weekend, the Panthers have now lost 17 consecutive games. Their last regular-season win came in overtime over Lafayette on Dec. 31, 2011.
Sophomore forward Cora McManus scored a career-high 16 points to lead the team, and junior guard Asia Logan had 10 points and a career-high seven rebounds. Redshirt freshman Loliya Briggs scored four points and had three rebounds in her first collegiate game.
- Seton Hill hires women’s lacrosse coach to replace late Quigley
- College notebook: St. Vincent standouts honored
- Rawlins transferring from WVU
- Colleges notes: St. Vincent’s Burkhardt honored by PAC
- Colleges notes: Pitt-Greensburg softball players named all-conference
- Seneca Valley’s Bilka named D-III honorable mention
- Seton Hill returns to D-II playoffs for fourth consecutive year
- Eastern Wrestling League adds Rider, George Mason
- District college notes: Pitt’s Nkanata runs second-fastest time in 200
- Slippery Rock's Taylor 3rd in javelin at PSAC championships
- College baseball roundup: Seton Hill stays unbeaten
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.