District college basketball roundup: Pitt women collect 5th consecutive win
College Football Videos
The Pitt women's basketball team improved to 5-1 with an 86-60 win over Longwood on Monday at Petersen Events Center.
All five wins have come after the Panthers dropped the season opener against Youngstown State. The five-game winning streak is their longest since 2009-10 when they won eight in a row to start the season.
Sophomore point guard Brianna Kiesel scored a career-high 27 points, breaking her previous best of 26 last year at Villanova. Sophomore Chyna Golden recorded her second career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, and junior Asia Logan also finished with her second career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Longwood (1-5) led, 30-26, with three minutes left in the first half, but Pitt took a 35-30 advantage to halftime. Longwood got no closer than six points with 12:15 left to play before the Panthers made it 56-46 a minute later.
Pitt travels to Lafayette for its first road game of the season Saturday. Coach Agnus Berenato is two wins away from becoming Pitt's all-time wins leader. Kirk Bruce (159) holds the record.
Savannah St. 61, Robert Morris 52 — In Savannah, Ga., Preston Blackman scored 20 points, and Savannah State overcame 20 turnovers in the Tigers' win over poor-shooting Robert Morris.
Blackman was 7 of 11 from the field, with three of his four misses coming from beyond the arc. Stephen Wilson and Louis Arnold added 10 points apiece.
Savannah State held Robert Morris (3-4) to just 28.6 percent (16 of 56) shooting and outrebounded the Colonials, 43-32.
Lucky Jones led Robert Morris with 18 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VND Campus clippings: Leechburg graduate Barto picks up initial college victory at Gannon
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- Cal U-IUP vie in Coal Bowl
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- Slippery Rock football returns to Big House
- District college notes: GCC grad Stone earns NEC honor
- Jeannette grad a shutdown corner, special teams standout with St. Vincent
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area grad Smith inducted into Bethany Hall of Fame
- Seton Hill soccer player owns impressive streak
- Former Springdale soccer star creating opportunities for La Roche teammates