Around district colleges: CMU lineman will play in Aztec Bowl
College Football Videos
Carnegie Mellon senior offensive lineman Patrick Robinson will play in the Aztec Bowl Senior All-Star Game on Dec. 14 in Monterrey, Mexico. The Aztec Bowl is a small college bowl game featuring American players pitted against an all-star team from the Mexico University system.
• Edinboro senior defensive back Branden Williams was named a Capital One Division II Academic All-American for the second straight year, as was California (Pa.) senior offensive lineman Chet Welc (Mt. Pleasant). Williams was joined on the first team by Gannon senior linebacker Will Giles. IUP senior safety Johnny Franco and senior offensive lineman Anthony DiPasquale (Pine-Richland) made the second team, as did Gannon sophomore punter Cody Crosby. IUP had four players receive honorable mention on the Beyond Sports Network Division II All-American team: senior defensive tackle Carl Thornton (Beaver Falls), senior running back Harvie Tuck, sophomore kicker Brett Ullman and Franco.
• Carnegie Mellon senior cornerback/punt returner Sam Thompson was named to the Capital One Division III Academic All-American first team and to the Beyond Sports Network All-American third team. Grove City junior cornerback Chris Gibbs made the Capital One second team. Washington & Jefferson junior kicker Eric Eberle was selected to the Beyond Sports Network second team.
• The Westminster women's team (2-5) set a school record with 12 3-pointers in a 69-60 win over Thiel on Wednesday. The record had been 10 3-pointers.
• Robert Morris sophomore forward Rebecca Vint was named the College Hockey America player of the month after recording eight goals and four assists while the Colonials went 6-1-1.
• Penn State junior defender Lizzy Carney and sophomore midfielder Tatum Coffey were named to the Inside Lacrosse preseason All-America second team.
• Penn State senior midfielder Christine Nairn and junior forward Maya Hayes were chosen as first team Division I All-Americans by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. William & Mary senior midfielder Mallory Schaffer (Hampton) made the second team, and West Virginia senior defender Bry McCarthy was on the third team.
• Slippery Rock senior defender Emer Flatley and Gannon freshman midfielder Mani Brueckner (Mars) received second team NSCAA Division II All-American honors. Slippery Rock sophomore forward Lucy Hannon received honorable mention on the Daktronics All-American team.
• Mercyhurst senior forward Alex Manea, Gannon junior midfielder Sean Pike and Slippery Rock junior defender Joshua Gray received honorable mentions for the Daktronics Division II All-American team.
• St. Vincent sophomore defender Elly Colvin was named a first team NSCAA Division III All-American.
• Penn State-Behrend senior forward Jake Gamble was selected as a third team NSCAA Division III All-American.
• California (Pa.) coach Rick Bertagnolli will enter the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2013. Bertagnolli has a 929-271 record over 29 seasons and a pair of national championships.
Swimming and diving
• Edinboro junior Alexis Berdine (Moon) broke her school record in the 100-yard backstroke (57.23 seconds) at the Wooster Invitational. On the men's side, Edinboro junior Jared Malecki (Burrell) broke the school record in the 100 breaststroke (56.95).
Track and field
• California (Pa.) junior Chris Avampato (Greensburg Salem) set a school record in the weight throw with a distance of 51 feet, 2, 1⁄4 inches on Saturday at the YSU Icebreaker.
• Waynesburg senior David Cobb set a school record in the long jump (21-3, 1⁄2) on Saturday at the Marty Pushkin Track Classic. Senior Rhea Huwe set a school record in the 60-meter dash in a time of 8.15 seconds.
• Westminster freshman Marissa Kalsey (Waynesburg) set a school record in the pole vault with a height of 3.55 meters on Saturday at the YSU Icebreaker.
• Point Park senior middle hitter Livia Caluori was named to the Tachikara-NAIA All-American third team and senior outside hitter Lindsey Oberacker was an honorable mention.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- College notes: Seton Hill’s Malara grabs prestigious track award
- Jeannette grad Cortazzo happy with move to Seton Hill
- A-K Valley campus clippings: Kiski Area grad Brown powers Slippery Rock baseball
- Diminutive IUP senior Timko comes up aces
- District college notebook: Sleith becomes RMU softball’s all-time strikeout leader