District roundup: WVU loses Big 12 debut
College Football Videos
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Romero Osby had 21 points and nine rebounds for Oklahoma to negate an outstanding day by West Virginia freshman Terry Henderson Saturday as the Mountaineers lost their inaugural Big 12 game, 67-57.
The Sooners (10-3, 1-0) closed the game on a 16-2 run to beat the Mountaineers (7-6, 0-1) for the second time this season. The two league opponents met in a nonconference game in a Thanksgiving tournament.
Henderson, who previously scored 23 points in a loss to Michigan, notched 21 points Saturday, including seven 3-pointers, all in the first half.
Two other Mountaineers finished in double figures — Jabarie Hinds (11) and Juwan Staten (10).
West Virginia scored nine 3s in the first half but knocked down only seven field goals after intermission.
The Mountaineers were up 43-31 early in the second half, but the Sooners dominated from there. Trailing by 12 points, the Sooners held WVU to two field goals over the next 9½ minutes.
No. 21 Kansas 60, West Virginia 59 — In Morgantown, W. Va., Carolyn Davis hit a go-ahead layup with 42 seconds remaining and Kansas (11-2, 2-0 Big 12) defeated West Virginia (8-5, 0-2).
Angel Goodrich led the Jayhawks with 16 points.
Miami (Ohio) 54, Duquesne 49 — In Pittsburgh, the Dukes shot a season-low 11.1 percent from 3-point range and fell to the RedHawks (8-5).
Wumi Agunbiade scored a game-high 17 points to lead Duquesne (11-3), which was 2 of 18 from behind the arc.
Seton Hall 69, Pitt 55 — In South Orange, N.J., Pitt (9-5, 0-1) saw its three-game winning streak snapped with a loss to the Pirates (6-8, 1-0) in the Big East opener for both teams.
Robert Morris 65, CCSU 48 — In Moon, Artemis Spanou had 16 points and 14 rebounds and freshman Lou Mataly scored a career-best 19 points as the Colonials (2-10, 1-0) beat Central Connecticut State (6-6, 0-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gateway grad Cottrell, IUP enjoy journey to D-II title game
- Slippery Rock’s Taylor shines in back-to-back javelin events
- Jeannette grad looks forward to final collegiate wrestling season
- Cal U softballers successful again
- District college notebook: Cal’s Fennell off to hot start in PSAC play
- Soccer career continues for Springdale grad Weimerskirch
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- IUP falls short in Division II men’s basketball title game
- Westminster senior Jones finds groove on mound