District notebook: RMU goaltender nets conference award
College Football Videos
A shutout weekend helped Robert Morris goaltender Eric Levine bring home a conference award.
Levine, a senior, was named the Atlantic Hockey Association's goaltender of the month after blanking Penn State and Miami (Ohio) in the Three Rivers Classic at Consol Energy Center. He was also named the tournament's MVP. Overall, Levine was 4-0-2 in December for Robert Morris (9-4-2).
The Colonials' game against Army (6-8-2) will be televised at 7:35 p.m. Friday on the CBS Sports Network.
RIT defenseman Alexander Kuqali, a Mt. Lebanon native, was named Atlantic Hockey's rookie of the month.
• Players from the Robert Morris women's team swept the College Hockey America honors for December. Sophomore forward Rebecca Vint had a goal and five assists to earn player of the month honors, and senior goaltender Kristen DiCiocco had a 2.01 goals-against average, including a sweep of No. 4 Mercyhurst.
• No. 8 Gannon (11-1, 5-0 PSAC) is riding a 10-game winning streak heading into its game at 5:30 p.m. Friday against No. 22 Bloomsburg. Gannon sophomore Brittany Batts leads the PSAC with 43 3-pointers.
• Allegheny (6-5) had a record-breaking day in an 82-6 win over Medgar Evers on Dec. 29. The Gators' 33 steals and six points allowed set program records. Freshman guard Rachel Vigliotti (Oakland Catholic) had eight assists, the most for a Gator since 2004.
• Senior Emily Peel scored eight points in a 67-57 loss Wednesday at Baldwin Wallace to become the ninth Carnegie Mellon (8-3) player to reach 1,000 points.
• Point Park (12-2, 6-1 KIAC) has won eight in a row heading into Friday's conference game at Alice Lloyd (Ky.) Point Park's only conference loss came to Alice Lloyd, 74-61, on Nov. 21.
• Pitt-Bradford's Tyler Ferguson became the 21st player in school history to reach 1,000 points with a 19-point effort Sunday in a 72-57 win over SUNY-Canton.
• Slippery Rock (7-2) fell five points short of tying its highest point total ever, settling for third best in a 122-60 win over Ohio University Eastern on Sunday. The Rock set a school record with 111 shots from the field.
• No. 1 Penn State crowned three champions to claim its third straight Southern Scuffle on Wednesday in Chattanooga, Tenn. Sophomore 125-pounder Nico Megaludis (Franklin Regional), junior 184-pounder Ed Ruth and senior 197-pounder Quentin Wright won titles, as 11 of Penn State's 17 wrestlers placed.
• In the latest Division II Super Region I rankings, Pitt-Johnstown has two wrestlers ranked No. 1: Dave Fogle at 133 pounds and Travis McKillop (Burrell) at 184. Among area teams, Pitt-Johnstown is ranked third, Mercyhurst seventh, Gannon ninth and Seton Hill 11th.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport grad Turner is leader among Presidents
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- District roundup: Slippery Rock beat IUP, snaps losing streak