Yurovsky set to resume season
College Football Videos
Plum graduate Ronit Yurovsky and the University of Michigan women's tennis team begin the second half of their 2012-13 schedule on Jan. 19 with the three-day Michigan Invitational Tournament.
Yurovsky, a 2012 Plum graduate, a three-time WPIAL singles champion and a two-time state gold medalist, picked up right where she left off in high school this past fall as a Wolverines true freshman.
Yurovsky ended the fall slate in winning fashion, as she earned the singles title at the 18th annual Arizona State University Thunderbird Tournament on Nov. 11 in Tempe, Ariz.
She went 5-0 at the tournament and defeated Desirae Krawczyk of Arizona State, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2, in the championship match.
The title victory came after a big 7-5, 7-5 win over top-seeded and No. 31-ranked Tayler Davis of California University from the PAC 10.
Yurovsky, the second Wolverine women's tennis player to win the ASU Thunderbird, also went 2-1 in the doubles tournament.
She and Kristen Dodge, a sophomore from Barrington, Ill., won their first two matches before bowing out of the tournament.
Yurovsky finished the fall portion of her freshman season with a 9-4 overall singles record. She ranked first in wins and total singles matches.
She also went 5-5 in doubles action with four different teammates.
Over the summer, Yurovsky earned a big national honor for her high school exploits. She was named the 2012 National High School Senior Athlete of the Year for girls tennis, an award given by the National High School Coaches Association.
It is the 13th year the NHSCA honored achievers in the high school athletic community nationwide.
Yurovsky, who ranked as the No. 17 recruit nationally by tennisrecruiting.net as she decided to attend the University of Michigan, also found herself as the top-ranked player from the Middle Atlantic region.
She left Plum as a four-time WPIAL and state place winner. She lost only five singles matches in her high school career and was undefeated in regular-season play.
The Big 10 schedule starts on Feb. 27 and continues through April 21. The Big 10 Tournament is April 25 to 27 and the journey to the NCAA finals starts with regional action on May 10.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jeannette’s Sunder, Carlow men focusing on future after tough 1st season
- Plum’s Dedert helps St. Vincent men’s basketball win PAC crown
- Plum grad named to PAC’s anniversary softball team
- Franklin Regional grads named to collegiate anniversary teams
- Gateway grad claims title, Cal U record at PSAC indoor track championships
- La Roche, St. Vincent get one more shot in D-III tournaments
- District college notebook: W&J wrestler Carr advances to D-III championships
- District college notebook: CMU rebounds with decisive wins
- Duquesne women eye run at Atlantic 10 title, NCAA tournament
- Cal U women hope to end Gannon hex tonight
- Cal U women overcome Gannon in PSAC quarterfinal