Campus clipings: Fox Chapel's Tublin has breakout game
College Football Videos
Redshirt sophomore Daniel Tublin (Fox Chapel) saw minimal playing time last season, but the 6-foot-8 outside hitter suddenly is coming into his own with the Stanford men's volleyball team.
Tublin had a breakthrough match against George Mason in his first college start. He recorded 14 kills, eight digs and two blocks in a 3-1 (25-18, 23-25, 25-16, 25-18) victory.
Tublin has 16 digs, 27 kills and nine blocks this season for Stanford (4-1, 1-1 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation), which is ranked No. 2 in the country.
The Tomcats will open their men's volleyball season Jan. 26 at home against Eastern Mennonite, and two local players are on the roster.
Sophomore Charlie Tindall (Deer Lakes) will be a key setter after compiling 41 kills and 62 digs in 43 sets last season.
Junior defensive specialist Corey Swarmer (Leechburg) also will look to make an impact. Leechburg does not have boys volleyball, so Swarmer did not play for a high school team.
Penn State Behrend
Senior forward Holly Bourquin (Fox Chapel) became the 10th player in school history to score 1,000 career points. The 5-11 Bourquin is second on the team in scoring this season at 10.5 points per game while also averaging 5.8 rebounds and 1.5 steals for the Lions (10-6, 8-3 AMCC).
Senior Shane Welsh (Burrell) is 9-5 this season, including a 5-4 mark in duals. Welsh hopes to gear up for another strong postseason.
Last year, he won an EIWA title as the No. 6 seed and qualified for the NCAA Tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West
- Valley grad Brennan leads W&J tennis team into PAC finals
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- District college notebook: Debo sets Edinboro career goals record
- VND campus clippings: W&J kicker Davis named PAC special teams player of the week
- Jeannette grad, Mount Union not taking opponent lightly in ‘mismatch”
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- District college notes: St. Vincent names women’s assistant coach