Pittsburgh Basketball Club to induct 4th hall of fame class
College Football Videos
Some of the most accomplished basketball players and coaches from Western Pennsylvania will add an honor to their glowing resumes Saturday.
The Pittsburgh Basketball Club will induct its fourth hall of fame class at a brunch at the Double Tree Hotel in Moon.
The class of 2012 will feature honorees in the divisions of coaches, contributors, distinguished community service as well as the newly founded “Legends Division,” which will pay homage to local standouts Jarrett Durham (Aliquippa/Duquesne), Dennis Wuycik (Ambridge/North Carolina), Cleveland Edwards (Farrell/Robert Morris/Pitt), Reggie Wells Sr. (Clarion University), Danny Fortson (Shaler/Cincinnati), Ron Rowan (Beaver Falls/St. John's), Ulice Payne (Ringgold/Marquette) and Jennifer Bruce Scott (Carrick/Pitt).
“It is very important to me that our basketball present and future have the opportunity to meet our basketball past,” PBC director John Giammarco said. “Reaching the standards set by so many before us will truly say basketball has returned in Western Pa.
“In this football-crazed town, those that are too young to remember or unwilling to acknowledge that the basketball heritage of Western Pa., is an incredible one, and year by year we will reach each and every one of those that contributed to that heritage.”
This year's coaches to be honored include Tim Grgurich (Pitt), Matt Furjanic (Robert Morris), Ron Galbreth (Westminster), Bernie Matthews (St. Vincent), Harry Jenkins (Fox Chapel High School/La Roche), Hank Kuzma (Midland High School) and Ed Olkowski (Midland High School).
Honored for their contributions to the sport are Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Kevin Gorman, Blackhawk athletic director Jack Fullen, Shaler athletic director/coach Paul Holzshu (Metro Index Basketball), Ellis Cannon of the Pittsburgh Sports Report, and officials Paul Skirtich and Tony Court.
The PBC also will recognize Frank Gustine, John Connomikes, John Hobart, Jim Lind and Terry Engel for their work in the community.
A limited number of tickets to the hall of fame brunch are available by calling 412-403-9086 or visiting www.pittsburghbasketballclub.com. Individual tickets are $45 and a table of eight can be purchased for $325.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus clippings: Freeport grad big hit for Clarion volleyball
- District college notebook: Brett leads Colonials in tournament
- Penn State Fayette volleyball team eyes more success
- District college notes: Palonder leads SVC men to win
- Duquesne bounces back with win against Dayton
- Franklin Regional’s Jonov out of Bucknell football lineup with knee injury
- Campus clippings: Freeport grad Turner shines in W&J football opener
- Move to tight end benefits Green at Cal (Pa.)
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) rallies, but loses on OT field goal
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock still puts up points
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area graduate Kylie Jackson hitting her stride for St. Francis