District roundup: Pitt gymnasts garner 1st national ranking
College Football Videos
The Pitt women's gymnastics team checked in at No. 22 this week, its first GymInfo team ranking in school history.
The Panthers visit Penn State for a quad meet with Iowa and Rutgers at 7 p.m. Saturday.
• Penn State Beaver junior Nick Miller (Beaver Falls) scored 14 points in a 77-70 win over Penn State Brandywine on Jan. 18 to surpass 1,000 career points.
• Edinboro senior Kiara Brown (Ambridge) scored a game-high 18 points to reach 1,000 points for the Fighting Scots in a 67-57 win Jan. 19 over Lock Haven. Brown has 1,224 points after playing her freshman season at California (Pa.).
• Penn State Behrend senior forward Holly Bourquin (Fox Chapel) scored 16 points in a 58-52 loss to Pitt-Greensburg on Jan. 19 to become the 10th player in program history to reach 1,000 points. The Lions beat D'Youville, 76-65, on Wednesday for the program's 500th win.
Women's ice hockey
• Robert Morris senior Cobina Delaney was named one of 11 nominees for the BNY Mellon Wealth Management Hockey Humanitarian Award.
• Senior goaltender Stephanie Ciampa made a career-high 40 saves, as No. 8 Mercyhurst (17-4-1) upset No. 2 Boston College (17-4-2), 3-2, on Jan. 19. The Lakers are 15-0-0 after scoring first this season.
Swimming & diving
• West Virginia sophomore Hailey VandePoel set a school record in the 3-meter dive (316.20) Jan. 18 against TCU.
• Westminster freshman Ericka Culp set a school record in the 1-meter dive (238.0) in a tri-meet Jan. 19 at Carnegie Mellon.
• Penn State Behrend sophomore Dan Simon (Penn-Trafford) set a school record in the 50-yard backstroke (23.61 seconds) in a 137-93 win Jan. 18 over Allegheny.
Track and field
• Waynesburg sophomore Lorenzo Mikulin set a school record in the indoor 500-meter dash (1:10.11) at the West Virginia University Invitational.
• Penn State senior Quentin Wright (197 pounds) pinned Wisconsin's Jackson Hein on Jan. 18 for his 100th career win, as the No. 1 Nittany Lions cruised to a 36-6 win. Wright, ranked third nationally, became the 27th Penn State wrestler with 100 victories. Four Penn State wrestlers also earned titles Jan. 19 at the Hitchcock Memorial Tournament at Millersville: sophomore Andrew Alton (149), sophomore Dylan Alton (157), senior Nick Fischer (165) and sophomore Jimmy Lawson (285).
• Waynesburg senior Alex Crown (133 pounds) picked up his 100th win Jan. 19 when teammate Brandon Grainy defaulted in the championship match of the College of Mt. St. Vincent Invitational.
— Mike Palm
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- District college roundup: Buechel leads Duquesne past Monmouth
- District college football preview: W&J on cusp of 700 victories
- District college notes: Pitt-Greensburg hosting annual run/walk
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) rallies, but loses on OT field goal
- District college notes: Palonder leads SVC men to win
- District college notebook: Brett leads Colonials in tournament
- Jeannette grad Craft makes impressive debut at RB for St. Vincent
- Campus clippings: Freeport grad big hit for Clarion volleyball
- PSAC West schools commonly outspend eastern foes
- Jeannette grad Brown a ‘shutdown’ cornerback at St. Vincent College
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area graduate Kylie Jackson hitting her stride for St. Francis