District roundup: Pitt gymnasts garner 1st national ranking
College Football Videos
The Pitt women's gymnastics team checked in at No. 22 this week, its first GymInfo team ranking in school history.
The Panthers visit Penn State for a quad meet with Iowa and Rutgers at 7 p.m. Saturday.
• Penn State Beaver junior Nick Miller (Beaver Falls) scored 14 points in a 77-70 win over Penn State Brandywine on Jan. 18 to surpass 1,000 career points.
• Edinboro senior Kiara Brown (Ambridge) scored a game-high 18 points to reach 1,000 points for the Fighting Scots in a 67-57 win Jan. 19 over Lock Haven. Brown has 1,224 points after playing her freshman season at California (Pa.).
• Penn State Behrend senior forward Holly Bourquin (Fox Chapel) scored 16 points in a 58-52 loss to Pitt-Greensburg on Jan. 19 to become the 10th player in program history to reach 1,000 points. The Lions beat D'Youville, 76-65, on Wednesday for the program's 500th win.
Women's ice hockey
• Robert Morris senior Cobina Delaney was named one of 11 nominees for the BNY Mellon Wealth Management Hockey Humanitarian Award.
• Senior goaltender Stephanie Ciampa made a career-high 40 saves, as No. 8 Mercyhurst (17-4-1) upset No. 2 Boston College (17-4-2), 3-2, on Jan. 19. The Lakers are 15-0-0 after scoring first this season.
Swimming & diving
• West Virginia sophomore Hailey VandePoel set a school record in the 3-meter dive (316.20) Jan. 18 against TCU.
• Westminster freshman Ericka Culp set a school record in the 1-meter dive (238.0) in a tri-meet Jan. 19 at Carnegie Mellon.
• Penn State Behrend sophomore Dan Simon (Penn-Trafford) set a school record in the 50-yard backstroke (23.61 seconds) in a 137-93 win Jan. 18 over Allegheny.
Track and field
• Waynesburg sophomore Lorenzo Mikulin set a school record in the indoor 500-meter dash (1:10.11) at the West Virginia University Invitational.
• Penn State senior Quentin Wright (197 pounds) pinned Wisconsin's Jackson Hein on Jan. 18 for his 100th career win, as the No. 1 Nittany Lions cruised to a 36-6 win. Wright, ranked third nationally, became the 27th Penn State wrestler with 100 victories. Four Penn State wrestlers also earned titles Jan. 19 at the Hitchcock Memorial Tournament at Millersville: sophomore Andrew Alton (149), sophomore Dylan Alton (157), senior Nick Fischer (165) and sophomore Jimmy Lawson (285).
• Waynesburg senior Alex Crown (133 pounds) picked up his 100th win Jan. 19 when teammate Brandon Grainy defaulted in the championship match of the College of Mt. St. Vincent Invitational.
— Mike Palm
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Temple’s Hooks lands at Cal U
- District college notebook: Duquesne women’s cross country team picked to defend A-10 title
- Area players expect to make Cal U impact
- Mars graduate Miele on the move at Slippery Rock
- Allegheny’s Thiessen aiming for encore to stellar freshman season
- Duquesne picked 2nd, RMU third in NEC preseason football poll
- IUP favored in PSAC West preseason poll