Campus clippings: Plum graduate Matassa excels for St. Francis (Pa.) bowling team
College Football Videos
Bowling has grown in popularity at the high school level, and despite its lack of mainstream attention, the sport offers opportunities at the collegiate level.
Just ask Marissa Matassa.
The St. Francis (Pa.) University junior and Plum graduate is a key member of the Red Flash's third-year bowling team, which quickly has found a spot in the national rankings.
Matassa led St. Francis, ranked No. 11 by the National Tenpin Coaches Association, with a 20.38 Baker-frame average in the four-game championship series of the Red Flash Invitational, which the host team won.
As a sophomore, Matassa had averages of 17.89 (Baker-frame) and 181.68 (traditional).
Men's indoor track & field
Junior Nick Gentile (Freeport) broke a school record in the 600-meter run at the Gene Edmonds Cup at Purdue University, running a time of 1:21.88.
Later, Gentile ran to victory in the 800-meter run at the Doug Raymond Invitational at Kent State. His time of 1:55.22 is the fourth-best mark in the Northeast Conference this season. At the same event, freshman Richard Lednak (Kiski Area) won the 5,000-meter run with a time of 16:15.87.
At the Al Hall Games at Edinboro, freshman Logan Haines-Douglas (Kiski Area) took second in the 60- and 200-meter dashes.
Swimming and diving
Freshman Ericka Culp (Avonmore/cyber school) broke a school record in the 1-meter dive (238.0) and set a career-best mark of 217.40 during a tri-meet with SUNY Geneseo and Carnegie Mellon.
On the men's side, sophomore David Starr (Plum) won the 100-yard freestyle in a 131-96 victory over Saint Vincent.
Sophomore 184-pounder Travis McKillop (Burrell) won by technical fall to help the Mountain Cats (11-2) to a 4-0 record in the Super Region I Duals in Newberry, S.C.
McKillop, ranked eighth nationally, also won his match against then-No. 4 ranked Newberry as No. 11 UPJ posted a 21-14 upset victory.
— Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State Fayette volleyball team eyes more success
- District college notebook: Brett leads Colonials in tournament
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area graduate Kylie Jackson hitting her stride for St. Francis
- District college notes: Palonder leads SVC men to win
- Jeannette grad Craft makes impressive debut at RB for St. Vincent
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) rallies, but loses on OT field goal
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock still puts up points
- Campus clippings: Fox Chapel grad Thiessen has big week at Allegheny
- Jeannette grad Brown a ‘shutdown’ cornerback at St. Vincent College
- Duquesne bounces back with win against Dayton
- Cal U offering free golf programs