District college notebook: Pair of La Roche players hit 1,000 points
College Football Videos
The La Roche women's basketball team had two players reach the 1,000-point club this week.
Junior Casie Cygan (Butler) scored 22 points Wednesday in a 74-44 win over Franciscan to reach the milestone for the Lady Redhawks (19-2, 14-1 AMCC).
Junior Jessica Pitts scored her 1,000th point after a 15-point effort in an 81-61 win over Pitt-Bradford on Saturday.
• Washington & Jefferson coach Jina DeRubbo picked up her 300th career win when the Presidents defeated Grove City, 69-50, on Wednesday.
• Mercyhurst was tabbed as the favorite to win the PSAC Western Division in the preseason conference poll. The Lakers were followed by Slippery Rock, California (Pa.), IUP, Gannon, Lock Haven and Clarion.
• Former Point Park baseball players Dave Angle (Pine-Richland) and Sean Gaughan (Baldwin) will play for the Brownsville Stars in the Texas Winter League, which showcases players for scouts.
• West Virginia freshman Sydney Scott placed sixth at the U.S. Cross Country Championships on Saturday in St. Louis, Mo., to qualify for the IAFF World Cross Country Championships on March 24 in Poland.
• Clarion senior Justin Duncan (South Park) edged several Division I divers to win the 1- and 3-meter events at the Pitt Invitational on Saturday.
• Gannon (18-4, 12-4 PSAC) handed No. 7 IUP (17-3, 14-2) its first home loss of the season, 57-55, on Wednesday night.
• The Penn State men's team will send six competitors to the 2013 Winter Cup Challenge this weekend in Las Vegas. Mackenzie Dow, Adrian Evans, Matthew Felleman, Craig Hernandez, Trevor Howard and Parker Raque will compete in the event, which serves as the kickoff to the 2016 Summer Olympics.
• Gannon was picked to win the PSAC Western Division in the preseason coaches' poll, followed by California (Pa.), Mercyhurst, Slippery Rock and Edinboro. IUP was third and Clarion fifth in the Central Division.
Track and field
• West Virginia senior Sydney Cummings tied a school record in the high jump with a leap of 1.78 meters for a second-place finish Saturday at the Akron Invitational.
• California (Pa.) senior Erin Kling set a school record in the 5,000-meter run (18:17.45) Saturday at the NCAA Division II Team Challenge in Geneva, Ohio.
• Thiel freshman Morgan Berg set a school record in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.47 seconds Saturday at the Jim Wuske Invitational at Mt. Union College.
• Mercyhurst (13-2, 5-0) claimed the first PSAC Division II team championship with a 26-9 win over Gannon (4-4, 2-2) on Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A-K Valley campus clippings: Local trio powers Allegheny softball
- CCAC-South softball advances to district championships
- Seneca Valley grads on the right track at Grove City
- Cal U starting over with annual spring game
- Seton Hill baseball standout McCarthy recovers from accident, rejoins team
- Toole, Robert Morris finalizing 2-year extension
- D-I transfer revs up game for Point Park baseball
- Mercyhurst baseball team shakes off delayed start
- Reicoff sets HR record in Cal U sweep
- Ex-Freeport star dealing with ‘scary’ ailment returns to Mercyhurst baseball team
- Westminster senior Jones finds groove on mound