Campus clippings: Plum's Yurovsky helps Michigan tennis to big wins
College Football Videos
Ronit Yurovskyis no stranger to the pressure that comes with big-stage tennis matches.
She won two state singles titles while playing tennis at PlumHigh School and has wasted no time showing she also can compete at the Division I college level.
Yurovsky, a freshman at Michigan, was named the Big Ten Conference Women's Tennis Athlete of the Week after defeating two nationally ranked players in the first two singles matches of her collegiate career.
Yurovsky downed No. 25 Kata Szekeley of Tennessee, 7-6, 6-4, and No. 28 Zoe De Bruycker of North Carolina, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0. Unranked Michigan defeated No. 25 Tennesse, 4-3.
Guards Reece Mabery (Highlands)and Brady Pacific (Kiski Area)have been a part of one of the top senior groups to play for the program, leading the Bison to 80 victories and a 45-7 record at home.
Penn State New Kensington
Sophomore guard Dom Strapac (Leechburg) scored 15 points on five 3-pointers to help lead the Lions to their first win in more than a year. PSNK defeated Penn College, 77-75, on Saturday to move to 1-16 for the season.
Junior forward Jenny Papich (Fox Chapel) is closing in on a milestone. Papich needs 34 points to become the 24th women's player in school history to score 1,000 career points. This season, she is averaging 12.7 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.9 assists for Gannon (21-3), ranked No. 6 in the country in Division II.
Redshirt sophomore Ryan Siegel (Freeport)is hitting .417 with a pair of RBI through three games for the Lakers (2-1). An outfielder, Siegal transferred from Coastal Carolina.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notebook: St. Vincent men’s soccer rallies for victory
- Jeannette grad relishes St. Vincent football’s first win since 2011
- District college roundup: No. 22 Slippery Rock eases past Seton Hill
- Mars grad returns from injury, shines for Kent State women’s soccer
- Campus Clippings: Plum graduate Yurovsky thriving for Michigan tennis team
- District college notebook: Penn State goalkeeper Wolverton ties school record for career shutouts
- District college roundup: Buechel leads Duquesne past Monmouth
- District college notes: St. Vincent women’s tennis net third straight win
- Ruffing blossoms in Washington & Jefferson backfield