College basketball roundup: Georgetown tops Marquette
College Football Videos
WASHINGTON — Otto Porter scored 11 of his 21 points after a momentum-shifting technical foul on Marquette coach Buzz Williams, and No. 15 Georgetown won a stop-and-start game of turnovers and whistles Monday night, beating the 18th-ranked Golden Eagles, 63-55, to move into a tie for second in the Big East.
Porter scored Georgetown's next six points after Williams was whistled while arguing an out-of-bounds call along the baseline with 12:13 to play. The Golden Eagles had cut a 10-point halftime deficit to three, but the Hoyas went on an 8-1 run immediately after the technical, and Marquette didn't get closer than eight points the rest of the way.
Georgetown scored 24 points off Marquette's 19 turnovers, and Markel Starks added 16 points for the Hoyas (18-4, 8-3 Big East), who won their sixth straight and avenged a 49-48 loss at Marquette on Jan. 5.
Jamil Wilson scored 13 points to lead the Golden Eagles (17-6, 8-3), who fell into a tie with Georgetown behind conference-leading Syracuse (8-2).
No. 14 Kansas 83, No. 10 Kansas St. 62 — In Lawrence, Kan., Ben McLemore scored 30 points on his 20th birthday, Jeff Withey dominated in the paint and Kansas snapped its three-game skid to forge a tie for first in the Big 12.
Withey had 17 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks, giving him 263 for his career, one shy of the conference's career mark held by Chris Mihm of Texas. The Jayhawks (20-4, 8-3 Big 12) pulled even with the Wildcats (19-5, 8-3) in the league race.
Two of Kansas State's losses have come against the Jayhawks.
Robert Morris 67, St. Francis (Pa.) 53 — Artemis Spanou had 18 points and 15 rebounds for her 18th straight double-double to lead the Colonials (7-16, 6-6 Northeast Conference) at Sewall Center.
RMU's Ashley Ravelli, who last week earned her third NEC Rookie of the Week honor, led all scorers with 22 points.
St. Francis' Alexa Hayward (Blackhawk) had five points on 2-for-10 shooting.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- College notes: Hempfield graduate Guy clears 13 feet in pole vault
- District college notebook: W&J wrestler Carr advances to D-III championships
- Jeannette’s Sunder, Carlow men focusing on future after tough 1st season
- Gateway grad claims title, Cal U record at PSAC indoor track championships
- College notes: St. Vincent men win PAC tournament
- St. Vincent men, La Roche women open NCAA D-III tourney Friday
- Plum’s Dedert helps St. Vincent men’s basketball win PAC crown
- Campus clippings: Schrecongost, Stein excel at PSAC swimming championships
- WCCC women’s basketball team captures 3rd straight conference championship
- Duquesne women eye run at Atlantic 10 title, NCAA tournament
- Campus clippings: Edinboro’s Schrecongost bound for D-II nationals