District college notebook: W&J, St. Vincent men meet in semifinals
College Football Videos
The Washington & Jefferson men's basketball team goes for its second straight upset when it visits St. Vincent in the Presidents' Athletic Conference tournament semifinals at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Fifth-seeded W&J (9-17) was the lone lower-seeded team — men's or women's — in Tuesday's quarterfinals. The Presidents defeated preseason favorite Bethany, 70-64. Sophomore guard Doug Johnson (Latrobe) scored a game-high 19 points.
Top-seeded St. Vincent (21-5) is coming off a 72-62 triumph over Waynesburg.
Third-seeded Thiel (14-9) travels to second-seeded Thomas More (22-4) at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Thiel downed sixth-seeded Grove City, 57-44, on Tuesday.
The top remaining seed will host the championship at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
On the women's side, third-seeded W&J (19-7) faces No. 2 seed St. Vincent (20-6) in the semifinals at 6 p.m. Friday in Crestview Hills, Ky. Fourth-seeded Waynesburg (14-12) meets top-seeded Thomas More (25-1) at 8 p.m.
W&J, which beat Grove City, 59-50, on Tuesday, is led by the inside tandem of junior Chelsea Apke (Mt. Lebanon) and sophomore Valerie Dunlap (Latrobe).
St. Vincent topped Thiel, 89-43, behind 19 points, five rebounds and five steals from Devin McGrath (Our Lady of the Sacred Heart).
Waynesburg edged Westminster, 61-53, in the quarterfinals.
Friday's winners advance to the championship at 4 p.m. Saturday at Thomas More.
• The Point Park men's basketball team (14-10) is the fifth seed in the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament and plays a quarterfinal at fourth-seeded Cincinnati Christian (15-15) at 3 p.m. Saturday. The Point Park women (22-6) earned the top seed and host Carlow (14-14) at 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Westminster won the PAC men's swimming and diving championship. Westminster sophomore Steven Brooks received the PAC swimmer of the year after claiming the 100 and 200 backstroke titles. PAC diver of the year went to W&J senior John Szott (Bethel Park).
• The PAC named its all-conference teams. Men's first-team selections included four Westminster athletes: freshman Matt Baurle (Penn-Trafford), senior Dan Gutmann (Seneca Valley), senior Alan Nedley (Peters Township) and sophomore Jake Pletz (Peters Township).
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shasko aims for fitness, improvement in 2nd season as St. Vincent women’s soccer coach
- W&J’s Crossey receiving preseason All-American honors
- Slippery Rock’s McGraw wants to put program on solid ground
- College notes: Harbert honored by D-III coaches
- EF big man Prota part of Pitt-Johnstown’s incoming hoops class
- Chatham baseball prepares for debut season in 2016