La Roche, St. Vincent basketball teams learn Division III tournament foes
Published: Monday, February 25, 2013, 4:18 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Three district college basketball teams will play first-round road games in the NCAA Division III Tournament against schools from the same conference.
In men's games at 7 p.m. Saturday, Presidents' Athletic Conference champion St. Vincent (23-5) will open at Ohio Wesleyan (22-5), and Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference champion Penn State-Behrend (20-8) will travel to Wooster (23-5).
Ohio Wesleyan defeated Wooster in the North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament championship game.
La Roche (24-2), which won the AMCC women's title, will visit DePauw (28-0) for a first-round game Friday. A starting time will be determined.
All three district schools earned automatic bids to the national tournament after winning conference tournament titles.
While no other district schools were awarded at-large berths in the 64-team NCAA fields announced Monday, a handful of teams accepted bids to play in the Eastern College Athletic Conference South Region Tournament, which begins with quarterfinals Wednesday.
In the men's bracket, La Roche (15-9) will entertain Bethany (W.Va.) (15-10) at 7 p.m., and in the women's bracket, Washington & Jefferson (20-8) plays host to Penn State-Behrend (17-10) at 7 p.m.; and Carnegie Mellon (13-12) visits Juniata (18-8) at 5:30 p.m.
The semifinals and championship game will be held on Saturday and Sunday at the home of the highest-remaining seed.
— Staff reports
- Penn-Trafford graduates fare well with Penn State Greater Allegheny baseball team
- After being selected in 33rd round, Seton Hill’s Haines to pitch in Cape Cod League
- Blackhawk’s Kincade gives verbal commitment to Akron
- Seton Hill women’s basketball coach Labati steps down
- Seton Hill hires women’s lacrosse coach to replace late Quigley
- Carlynton graduate Millikin receives Air Force Academy swimming honors
- Baldwin product McCarthy has big junior year on Seton Hill baseball team
- After all-conference year at St. Francis, Colligan gets to play St. Andrews
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.