Local college notes: UPG freshman named co-Newcomer of the Year
College Football Videos
Pitt Greensburg freshman Rocco Contristano was honored with the 2012-13 co-Newcomer of the Year award in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference in men's basketball.
The 6-foot-3 guard led UPG in scoring with an average of 11.5 points, field-goal percentage (50.3), 3-point field-goal percentage (41.3) and free-throw percentage (85). He shared the award with Hilbert freshman forward Jerame Owens.
In AMCC games, Contristano shot a league-best 86.6 percent (58 for 67) from the free-throw line and 48.6 percent (17 for 35) from 3-point range.
After starting the season as a key reserve, Contristano earned a starting spot in his sixth game for UPG and scored in double figures in 15 of the Bobcats' 19 remaining games, including a career-high 30 points in a victory over La Roche.
Contristano was the Bobcats' lone selection to the all-AMCC men's team, earning third-team honors.
Freshman guard Emily Nelson represented the UPG women's program by earning a spot on the all-AMCC third team.
Nelson, a Hempfield High School graduate, led UPG in scoring (10.5 ppg.), assists (3.8 apg.) and steals (2.0 spg.) and ranked second in 3-point field-goal percentage (33.1) and free-throw percentage (75.3).
She set a school record this season with 13 assists in a victory over Mt. Aloysius.
The West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference named Mike Cima, a senior infielder/catcher for Seton Hill, as its player of the week after he batted .471 and had five RBI and four runs scored during a three-game stretch.
Eight riders from the Seton Hill women's club team have qualified for the Region 5 Finals of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association on Sunday at Stone Gate Farm in Hanoverton, Ohio.
Seton Hill is ranked No. 2 in Region 5 behind top-ranked West Virginia.
Regional qualifiers are Juliana Caffrey, Erica McCarthy, Caitlin Henzey, Lauren DeCarli, Elaina Moorehead, Taylor Jansen, Lauren Sitler and Alexandra Kemp-Thompson, who finished seventh at the 2012 IHSA Championships.
Individual placewinners at the regional event will advance to the IHSA Zone 6 Championships on April 6 at Reedsville (W.Va.) Farm. The IHSA Championships will be held May 2-5 in Harrisburg.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus clippings: Barto named PSAC’s top freshman golfer
- Grove City’s Fritz keeps collecting hits
- Cal (Pa.) softball loses slugfest; season comes to an end
- Mercyhurst wins opener at NCAA D-II baseball championships
- Penn Hills grad lifts La Roche baseball into playoffs with stellar year
- Cal U softball rallies to remain alive in NCAA D-II tournament
- Campus Clippings: Plum graduate Podvasnik sets La Roche homer mark
- Cal U softball team trying to stay alive in NCAAs
- College notes: Guy continues to set vault records at Virginia
- Slippery Rock's Taylor gearing up for 3rd trip to track nationals
- Cal (Pa.) blanked in NCAA softball championship opener