Lopez named Cal U defensive coordinator
College Football Videos
CALIFORNIA – The Cal U football program announced the hiring of Mike Lopez as defensive coordinator on Thursday.
He succeeds longtime defensive coordinator Mike Conway, who is now the head coach at North Park, a NCAA Division III program in Chicago.
Lopez spent the past 11 seasons with Fairmont State, serving as head coach since 2007 and defensive coordinator from 2002-11. He led the Fighting Falcons to a 30-35 record, highlighted by a 7-4 mark in 2011, the most wins in more than a decade.
“We are fortunate to get a coach with as much experience as Mike Lopez, given his time as a head coach and defensive coordinator,” said second-year head coach Mike Kellar, who served as a head coach with Lopez in the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference from 2009-10. “He is a great teacher of the game whose defense has thrived and will continue to thrive in this era of multiple offenses.”
While head coach at Fairmont State, Lopez coached 22 All-WVIAC First selections and four All-Americans.
“I'm very thankful and blessed for this opportunity to join Mike Kellar and the rest of the staff at Cal U,” said Lopez. “The Vulcans have a strong tradition with outstanding coaches and quality student-athletes.”
Lopez was a standout defensive end for Fairmont State and team captain during the 1996-97 seasons. As a junior, he helped the Falcons win the WVIAC title for the first time since the 1988 campaign. Lopez transferred to Fairmont State after playing two years at Potomac State and being a team captain for the Catamounts.
Following graduation from Fairmont State, Lopez earned a master's degree from West Virginia University and served as a graduate assistant with the football program and then-head coach Rich Rodriguez in 2001.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Seton Hill soccer player owns impressive streak
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area grad Smith inducted into Bethany Hall of Fame
- Thomas Jefferson grad stars on defensive line, and more, at Bethany
- Slippery Rock football returns to Big House
- District football preview: Preseason favorites IUP, Cal (Pa.) still finding full potential
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- District college notes: St. Vincent women win twice
- Jeannette grad a shutdown corner, special teams standout with St. Vincent