Lopez named Cal U defensive coordinator
College Football Videos
CALIFORNIA – The Cal U football program announced the hiring of Mike Lopez as defensive coordinator on Thursday.
He succeeds longtime defensive coordinator Mike Conway, who is now the head coach at North Park, a NCAA Division III program in Chicago.
Lopez spent the past 11 seasons with Fairmont State, serving as head coach since 2007 and defensive coordinator from 2002-11. He led the Fighting Falcons to a 30-35 record, highlighted by a 7-4 mark in 2011, the most wins in more than a decade.
“We are fortunate to get a coach with as much experience as Mike Lopez, given his time as a head coach and defensive coordinator,” said second-year head coach Mike Kellar, who served as a head coach with Lopez in the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference from 2009-10. “He is a great teacher of the game whose defense has thrived and will continue to thrive in this era of multiple offenses.”
While head coach at Fairmont State, Lopez coached 22 All-WVIAC First selections and four All-Americans.
“I'm very thankful and blessed for this opportunity to join Mike Kellar and the rest of the staff at Cal U,” said Lopez. “The Vulcans have a strong tradition with outstanding coaches and quality student-athletes.”
Lopez was a standout defensive end for Fairmont State and team captain during the 1996-97 seasons. As a junior, he helped the Falcons win the WVIAC title for the first time since the 1988 campaign. Lopez transferred to Fairmont State after playing two years at Potomac State and being a team captain for the Catamounts.
Following graduation from Fairmont State, Lopez earned a master's degree from West Virginia University and served as a graduate assistant with the football program and then-head coach Rich Rodriguez in 2001.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Jewish congregations dwindling, forced to mull viability of worship sites