District college notebook: Pitt-Johnstown wrestler Travis McKillop earns All-America honors
top performersNCAA Division II wrestling championships
• Pitt-Johnstown sophomore Travis McKillop (Burrell) reached the national semifinals and finished third at 184 pounds Saturday in Birmingham, Ala. Teammate Dave Cawley (North Allegheny) was seventh at 141 and also earned All-America honors as a top-eight finisher.
• Mercyhurst freshman Willie Bohnice (Penn-Trafford) placed seventh, and Gannon sophomore Matthew Turek was eighth at 125 pounds.
• Gannon sophomore Zack Zelcs took eighth at 184 pounds.
NCAA Division II swimming and diving championships
• Clarion senior Joe Ward took sixth in the 100 free and 15th in the 200 free, earning All-America honors in both events over the weekend in Birmingham, Ala. Sophomore Heath Calhoun (Butler) was second in three-meter diving and earned All-America status. Senior Justin Duncan (South Park) placed third in one-meter diving and fifth in three-meter.
• Clarion's Kayla Shull finished fifth in the 100 backstroke, earning All-America status.
NCAA Division I indoor track and field championships
• Senior Casimir Loxsom placed second in the 800 meters to help the Penn State men finish ninth Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark. It's the Nittany Lions' first top-10 finish as a team since 1975.
• WVU freshman Kelly Williams finished seventh in the mile, earning All-America honors.
NCAA Division II indoor track and field championships
• Slippery Rock senior Cameron Daugherty broke the PSAC record and finished second in the pole vault with a mark of 5.20 meters to earn All-America honors Saturday in Birmingham, Ala. On the women's side, freshman Ashley West (Pine-Richland) tied for eighth in the high jump at 1.70 meters.COMING UPNCAA Division II basketball tournament
• The PSAC champion Indiana (Pa.) men (24-5) face East Stroudsburg (22-6) in the opening round at noon Saturday at West Liberty.
• The PSAC runner-up Slippery Rock men (22-8) oppose Winston-Salem State (21-6) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at West Liberty.
• On the women's side, Gannon will host Friday's first round. Matchups include: Edinboro (22-6) vs. California (Pa.) (20-8) at 2:30 p.m.; Gannon (28-4) vs. Fairmont State (23-9) at 6 p.m.; and IUP (22-8) vs. PSAC champion Bloomsburg (24-5) at 8:30 p.m.
Atlantic Hockey Tournament quarterfinals
• The Robert Morris (20-12-4) men visit UConn (17-13-4) for a three-game series starting at 7:05 p.m. Friday.
NCAA Division I women's hockey tournament
• Mercyhurst (28-6-1) takes on Cornell (27-5-1) at 1 p.m. Saturday in a quarterfinal in Ithaca, N.Y. The winner advances to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis, Minn.
NCAA Division III wrestling championships
• Washington & Jefferson junior Josh Wetzel (Elizabeth Forward) will compete at 157 pound this weekend in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He will be joined by W&J freshman Jacob Spearman (125). Also competing will be the Waynesburg trio of sophomore and Fort Cherry product Sam Guid (165), junior Anthony Bonaventura (174) and junior Luke Lohr (149). Sophomore Jordan Powell (165) will represent Thiel.
NCAA Division III swimming and diving championships
• Penn State Behrend sophomore Dan Simon (Penn-Trafford) became the first men's swimmer in school history to qualify for championships, and he'll compete in three events starting Wednesday in Shenandoah, Texas.
Also on tap
• Division I wrestling championships, March 21-23, Des Moines, Iowa