District college notebook: Mercyhurst pitcher breaks PSAC victory mark
College Football Videos
• Senior left-hander Ben Rawding (Blackhawk) broke the PSAC record for consecutive pitching wins during the Lakers' 6-1 victory over Queens (N.Y.) College on Saturday. He won his 15th straight decision dating to 2011 and has won 19 of his past 20 decisions. The old conference record was set in 1993.
• Senior Rachael Burnett was named the Big 12 Most Outstanding Swimmer on Saturday after winning three individual events. Burnett, the Big East's Most Outstanding Swimmer the previous two years, won the 500 free in a Big 12- and school-record time of 4:38.10. She also took first in the 200 free and 1,650 free. The Mountaineers finished second as a team.
• Senior Kelsey Herbst broke the 27-year-old school record in the 1,650 free to lead the Panthers to a third-place finish in the Big East championships. Her time of 16:31.78 — which placed second — eclipsed the mark held by former Olympian Sue Heon. The Pitt men also placed third. of note• Mercyhurst senior forward L uis Leao was named PSAC West basketball player of the year. Joining him on the first team were Gannon senior forward Darrell Blanton, Indiana (Pa.) junior guard Mathis Keita, Edinboro senior guard Isaiah Prince (Imani Christian), Slippery Rock senior forward Devin Taylor (New Castle) and Edinboro junior center B ryan Theriot.
• Former major league player Lynn Jones returned to his alma mater, Thiel, as an assistant coach. He was an outfielder from 1979-86 with the Tigers and Royals, helping Kansas City win the 1985 World Series. Jones is a Meadville native.
coming upNCAA Division II wrestling championships
• Seven Pitt-Johnstown wrestlers, including Burrell graduate Travis McKillop, will compete Friday and Saturday in Birmingham, Ala. McKillop, a 184-pounder, will be joined by Evan Link (125), Dave Fogle (133), North Allegheny's Dave Cawley (141), Keith Ryan (165), Gary Lantz (174) and Josh Duplin (285). Mercyhurst will be represented by Penn-Trafford's Willie Bohince (125), Dylan D'Urso (133), Michael Griffith (149) and Clint Schaefer (165). For Gannon, Matthew Turek (125) and Zack Zelcs (184) are competing, and Seton Hill's Nick Nichols (149) and Zach Benzio (174) of Connellsville earned berths as well.
PSAC basketball semifinals
• The Slippery Rock men (21-7) will face East Stroudsburg (22-5) at 5:30 p.m. Friday at Indiana (Pa.)'s Kovalchick Complex. In the second game, host IUP (22-5) and West Chester (20-7) meet at 7:30 p.m.
• On the women's side, Gannon (27-3) and Millersville (21-7) play at 5:30 p.m. Friday, and Bloomsburg (22-5) takes on Edinboro (22-5) at 7:30 p.m. Both games are at Bloomsburg.
NAIA Division II women's basketball tournament
• Point Park (25-6) faces Indiana Wesleyan (30-3) at 8 p.m. Thursday in a first-round game at Sioux City, Iowa.
College Hockey America semifinals
• The fourth-seeded Robert Morris women visit top-seeded Mercyhurst on Friday. RMU (15-14-3) has won three of four this winter against the ninth-ranked Lakers (26-6-1). The championship game is Saturday at Mercyhurst.
Also on tap
• NCAA rifle championships,Friday-Saturday, Columbus, Ohio
• Eastern Wrestling League championships, Saturday, Edinboro
• Big Ten wrestling championships, Saturday-Sunday, Champaign, Ill.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.