District roundup: Penn State women reach Big Ten semifinals
College Football Videos
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — Alex Bentley scored 20 points, Maggie Lucas added 18, and No. 8 Penn State beat Ohio State, 76-66, on Friday in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten tournament.
The top-seeded Lady Lions (25-4) earned a spot in Saturday's semifinals against fourth-seeded Michigan State.
Bentley was 8 of 13 from the field. Lucas, the Big Ten player of the year, hit three 3-pointers.
Nikki Greene scored 17, and the Lady Lions shook off a slow start to shoot just over 49 percent in the game.
Tayler Hill scored 23 for Ohio State (18-13) and became the fifth Buckeyes player to hit the 2,000-point mark. She has 2,015 in her career, but it was a tough night overall.
Big East Tournament
Marquette 66, Pitt 43 — In Hartford, Conn., Katie Young scored 11 points and Katherine Plouffe added 10 as No. 10 seed Marquette (16-14) routed No. 15 seed Pitt in the first round of the Big East Tournament.
Brianna Kiesel had 13 points and five steals for ACC-bound Pitt (9-21), which went 0-16 in Big East regular-season play each of the past two years.
Atlantic 10 Tournament
Duquesne 64, VCU 58 — Orsi Szecsi scored a team-high 15 points off the bench and fifth-seeded Duquesne held No. 12 VCU without a field goal in the final 2:09 of the quarterfinal matchup.
April Robinson scored 13 points and Wumi Agunbiade added. 12, Senior Jocelyn Floyd had seven points, seven steals, six assists and five rebounds for the Dukes.
Robyn Parks scored 23 points to lead VCU (11-19).
Duquesne will play fourth-seeded St. Joseph (20-8) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the A-10 semifinals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thomas Jefferson grad wraps up impressive Penn State Fayette career
- Seeing divers succeed drives Clarion coach
- Soccer career continues for Springdale grad Weimerskirch
- IUP races to spot in Division II championship game
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- Cal (Pa.) women reach D-II championship game
- Former Kittanning hockey players raise bar at UPJ
- Munhall’s Strom helps Cal (Pa.) rise to the top
- California dreamin’ ... of national title
- District college notebook: Seton Hill baseball team slugs its way to 6-0 week