St. Vincent cross country team honored
College Football Videos
The St. Vincent College women's cross country team was honored by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association as an Academic Team of the Year.
The Bearcats were among seven Presidents' Athletic Conference schools and 197 in NCAA Division III to earn the award.
Team members registered a cumulative grade-point average of 3.44.
Johns Hopkins was named the National Scholar Team of the Year.
St. Vincent settled for a 3-3 record during a spring break trip to Florida. The Bearcats were unable to play the final game of the trip, because their opponent, Brandeis, was unable to travel through the snow.
Despite sunshine and temperatures in the high 70s in Winter Haven, Fla., Massachusetts-based Brandeis was grounded last week by a snowstorm in Boston.
Directors at the Russ Matt Tournament were unable to find a replacement game for St. Vincent, whose victories came against St. John Fisher, Beloit and Clark.
Junior Ally Vrcek of St. Vincent was named Presidents' Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week after winning both games for the Bearcats to improve to 3-0 overall. Vrcek pitched a total of 13 innings, allowing three earned runs and striking out 17.
The women's team at St. Vincent made a brief spring break trip to North Carolina and improved its record to 2-0 with a 16-8 victory at Meredith after overcoming an early 4-1 deficit. Nora Posival led St. Vincent with eight points on three goals and five assists. Kaley Burkardt added seven points on three goals and four assists, and Megan Fisher recorded five goals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- Jeannette grad, Mount Union not taking opponent lightly in ‘mismatch”
- District college notes: St. Vincent names women’s assistant coach
- VND campus clippings: W&J kicker Davis named PAC special teams player of the week
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- PSNK men’s soccer enjoying rebirth
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- Valley grad Brennan leads W&J tennis team into PAC finals