District college notebook: 3 wrestlers with local ties earn All-America status
College Football Videos
top performersNCAA Division IIIwrestling championships
• Three wrestlers with local ties earned All-America status last weekend in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Washington & Jefferson junior Josh Etzel (Elizabeth Forward) placed sixth at 157 pounds and became the school's top finisher since Dave Krivus placed sixth in 1983. Etzel finished 37-7, setting the school record for single-season victories. Waynesburg junior Luke Lohr took seventh at 149 pounds. Lohr defeated the third- and fourth-seeded wrestlers during his run at nationals. Thiel sophomore Jordan Powell claimed seventh place at 165 pounds. Thiel has had a wrestler earn All-America status in six of the past seven years.
Penn State men's gymnastics
• The No. 1 Nittany Lions edged No. 2 Michigan, 437.300-430.400 to cap an undefeated home season. Penn State will try to complete its 18th undefeated regular season in a meet at •6 p.m. Saturday at Minnesota.
Penn State women's gymnastics
• The No. 16 Nittany Lions posted the second-highest score in team history Saturday with a 197.325-196.775 win over No. 19 Kentucky. Senior Sharaya Musser earned first team All-Big Ten status for the fourth year, and senior Madison Merriam made her debut on the all-conference first team.
• The Thiel sophomore field hockey player set a program record with nine points (six goals, three assists) Monday in a 20-0 win over Franciscan University of Steubenville.
• The Waynesburg sophomore set a school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:24.04 on Saturday at the Coastal Carolina University/Shamrock Invitational.COMING UPAtlantic Hockey Association semifinals
• Mercyhurst junior defenseman Nick Jones (Seneca Valley) will help lead the Lakers (18-16-5) into a matchup with Connecticut (19-13-4) at 7:05 p.m. Friday in Rochester, N.Y. The winner advances to the AHA final, with the winner of the game receiving an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Jones was named to the AHA all-conference first team, while sophomore forward Ryan Misiak and Robert Morris senior forward Adam Brace were named to the AHA second team.
NCAA Division I wrestling championships
• Penn State leads the way with 10 competitors at the event, which runs Thursday-Saturday in Des Moines, Iowa. Pitt (8), Edinboro (5), Clarion (2) and West Virginia (1) also will be represented.
Also on tap
• NCAA Division II women's basketball Elite Eight: Gannon• (31-4) vs. Ashland (34-1), •9:30 p.m. Tuesday at San Antonio
• Penn State in Big Ten women's gymnastics championships, 6 p.m. Saturday, East Lansing, Mich.
• Pitt in East Atlantic Gymnastics League championships, 2 p.m. Saturday, Chapel Hill, N.C.
?? West Virginia in Big 12 women's gymnastics championships, 3 p.m. Saturday, Ames, Iowa
• Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia in NCAA Division I Swimming and Diving championships, Thursday-Saturday, Indianapolis
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum grad tabbed as Edinboro offensive coordinator
- Former California teammates may soon be college rivals
- NCAA settles head-injury lawsuit