Local college notes: WCCC guard named honorable mention All-American
College Football Videos
Freshman guard Danielle Murphy of Westmoreland County Community College has been named an honorable mention All-American women's basketball player in Division III of the National Junior College Athletic Association.
Murphy, a Hempfield High School graduate who previously was named to the all-District 20 region team, led NJCAA Division III in 3-point shooting percentage, converting 50 of 103 attempts for 48.5 percent.
Murphy averaged 17.8 points per game for WCCC, which posted a 23-5 record.
• Pitt-Greensburg women's basketball coach Erin Eaton and seven members of her team recently visited healthcare facility Senior Life Greensburg as part of the team's community service efforts. The team members worked on Easter crafts with members of the facility, visited during lunch and participated in a bingo session. Team personnel were planning to participate on a monthly basis in a program known as “Lunch Buddies.”
Seton Hill sophomore third baseman Nick Sell shared the latest Player of the Week Award in the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference with West Virginia State's Jack Hudson, and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association named Sell as its latest Atlantic Region Hitter of the Week. Griffin led Seton Hill to four victories in five games, batting .563 (9 for 16) with 13 RBI and nine runs scored.
Seton Hill senior Alexandra Kemp-Thompson finished her college career with a third-place finish in the Open Equitation Over Fences Class at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Zone 6 Finals at West Virginia University. Sophomore Elaina Moorehead placed fourth in the Walk/Trot Equitation Class.
The Pitt-Greensburg men's team earned the final playoff berth in the four-team field for the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference Tournament and will face top-seeded Franciscan in the semifinals on April 20 at the Oxford Athletic Club in Wexford.
Off the field
Scott Melick, a junior forward in men's basketball, and Brittany Butterworth, a sophomore guard in women's basketball, were the Pitt-Greensburg representatives on the winter sports list for sportsmanship in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference. The league, which similarly recognizes athletes in fall and spring sports, recently honored athletes from each school during NCAA Division III Week with its All-Sportsmanship Team for winter sports. It is the only conference award selected by students of the league's member schools.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Franklin Regional grads named to collegiate anniversary teams
- Plum grad named to PAC’s anniversary softball team
- Gateway grad claims title, Cal U record at PSAC indoor track championships
- Plum’s Dedert helps St. Vincent men’s basketball win PAC crown
- College notes: St. Vincent men win PAC tournament
- Cal U women overcome Gannon in PSAC quarterfinal
- District college notebook: W&J wrestler Carr advances to D-III championships
- Cal U women hope to end Gannon hex tonight
- La Roche, St. Vincent get one more shot in D-III tournaments
- District college notes: Seton Hill sweeps lacrosse awards
- WCCC women’s basketball team captures 3rd straight conference championship