Jefferson Hills man notches his 200th career victory as Vulcans' hockey coach
College Football Videos
Justin Berger continues to rack up the milestones as head coach of the California University Vulcans men's hockey program.
Berger, a Jefferson Hills resident, recorded his 200th career victory last month when California finished its 2012-13 season with a 6-5 victory against Iowa State.
Berger, in eight seasons as the Vulcans' head coach, has posted a 200-30-0-6-3 overall record, with a 15-6-0-3 mark in the ACHA Division III National Tournament, and a 21-2-0-1 slate in the College Hockey East playoffs.
He has won seven College Hockey East playoff championships, six Kaliena Cup titless, five Atlantic Region championships and one ACHA Division III national championship.
The Vulcans have advanced to the ACHA Division III national tournament six times during Berger's tenure.
Berger also has been the recipient of numerous individual awards.
He is a five-time ACHA Division III Atlantic Region coach of the year, three-time College Hockey East coach of the year, and the 2010-11 ACHA Division III national coach of the year.
Vulcans general manager Jamison Roth has been there for all 200 victories, as both a staff member and player.
“Two hundred wins is truly a remarkable accomplishment, and one that demonstrates Justin's hard work and dedication over the past nine years here at Cal, eight of which serving as the team's head coach,” Roth said. “Much of the program's success on and off the ice can be attributed to Coach Berger.
“His 200 wins is icing on the cake in regards to his achievements here at Cal, including being named ACHA Division III national coach of the year, and the ACHA Division III national championship.”
Story courtesy of California (Pa.) University athletics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cal U women’s basketball team, students share grief before game
- District college notes: Latrobe grad sets record at Virginia Tech
- Unselfish play helps St. Vincent women to special season
- District college notes: SVC track team competes in indoor meet
- District college notebook: Wydo sets Robert Morris hockey points record
- IUP men, women remain among Division II basketball elite
- Mathers shines for St. Vincent women’s basketball team
- Local roundup: PSNK men’s basketball team loses to PSU York
- Campus Clippings: Alle-Kiski swimmers shine at Edinboro