Jefferson Hills man notches his 200th career victory as Vulcans' hockey coach
College Football Videos
Justin Berger continues to rack up the milestones as head coach of the California University Vulcans men's hockey program.
Berger, a Jefferson Hills resident, recorded his 200th career victory last month when California finished its 2012-13 season with a 6-5 victory against Iowa State.
Berger, in eight seasons as the Vulcans' head coach, has posted a 200-30-0-6-3 overall record, with a 15-6-0-3 mark in the ACHA Division III National Tournament, and a 21-2-0-1 slate in the College Hockey East playoffs.
He has won seven College Hockey East playoff championships, six Kaliena Cup titless, five Atlantic Region championships and one ACHA Division III national championship.
The Vulcans have advanced to the ACHA Division III national tournament six times during Berger's tenure.
Berger also has been the recipient of numerous individual awards.
He is a five-time ACHA Division III Atlantic Region coach of the year, three-time College Hockey East coach of the year, and the 2010-11 ACHA Division III national coach of the year.
Vulcans general manager Jamison Roth has been there for all 200 victories, as both a staff member and player.
“Two hundred wins is truly a remarkable accomplishment, and one that demonstrates Justin's hard work and dedication over the past nine years here at Cal, eight of which serving as the team's head coach,” Roth said. “Much of the program's success on and off the ice can be attributed to Coach Berger.
“His 200 wins is icing on the cake in regards to his achievements here at Cal, including being named ACHA Division III national coach of the year, and the ACHA Division III national championship.”
Story courtesy of California (Pa.) University athletics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college football preview: W&J on cusp of 700 victories
- District college notes: Pitt-Greensburg hosting annual run/walk
- Campus clippings: Freeport grad big hit for Clarion volleyball
- Lynn returns to form as Cal U starter
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) rallies, but loses on OT field goal
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area graduate Kylie Jackson hitting her stride for St. Francis
- Knoch graduate Sanks making impact on volleyball court as freshman
- Cal U offering free golf programs
- Jeannette grad Craft makes impressive debut at RB for St. Vincent