PSNK softball team still alive for postseason berth
College Football Videos
Penn State New Kensington isn't out of the PSUAC softball playoff chase yet, but the local Lions still control their own destiny with two games left in the regular season.
PSNK split a pair of games Saturday against Penn State Schuylkill, losing, 1-0, before posting a 4-3 victory at Wolfpack Park in Lower Burrell.
PSNK (10-10, 9-5) needs to win at least one of two home games Sunday against Penn State Mont Alto to clinch a postseason berth. Two losses, and the team will need help.
On Saturday, junior standout Tarra Oravec (Kiski Area) pitched all 14 innings and struck out 10 while only surrendering two earned runs — both in the second game.
Oravec, the most recent USCAA Player of the Week, came up big again late in the second game. With PSNK down, 3-2, in the sixth, teammate Rachel Lojass hit a game-tying home run. In the next at-bat, Oravec homered again, giving the Lions everything to play for Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley grad Brennan leads W&J tennis team into PAC finals
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- Jeannette grad, Mount Union not taking opponent lightly in ‘mismatch”
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- Cal U-IUP vie in Coal Bowl
- VND campus clippings: W&J kicker Davis named PAC special teams player of the week
- District college notebook: Debo sets Edinboro career goals record