PSNK softball team still alive for postseason berth
College Football Videos
Penn State New Kensington isn't out of the PSUAC softball playoff chase yet, but the local Lions still control their own destiny with two games left in the regular season.
PSNK split a pair of games Saturday against Penn State Schuylkill, losing, 1-0, before posting a 4-3 victory at Wolfpack Park in Lower Burrell.
PSNK (10-10, 9-5) needs to win at least one of two home games Sunday against Penn State Mont Alto to clinch a postseason berth. Two losses, and the team will need help.
On Saturday, junior standout Tarra Oravec (Kiski Area) pitched all 14 innings and struck out 10 while only surrendering two earned runs — both in the second game.
Oravec, the most recent USCAA Player of the Week, came up big again late in the second game. With PSNK down, 3-2, in the sixth, teammate Rachel Lojass hit a game-tying home run. In the next at-bat, Oravec homered again, giving the Lions everything to play for Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A-K Valley campus clippings: Ex-Valley standout McNabb enters IUP Hall of Fame
- District college notebook: St. Vincent men’s soccer rallies for victory
- Slippery Rock’s Greene rushes to top of D-II list
- District college notebook: CMU goalie helps women’s team to No. 4 ranking
- District college notes: UPG tennis stays perfect
- District college roundup: No. 22 Slippery Rock eases past Seton Hill