PSNK softball team still alive for postseason berth
College Football Videos
Penn State New Kensington isn't out of the PSUAC softball playoff chase yet, but the local Lions still control their own destiny with two games left in the regular season.
PSNK split a pair of games Saturday against Penn State Schuylkill, losing, 1-0, before posting a 4-3 victory at Wolfpack Park in Lower Burrell.
PSNK (10-10, 9-5) needs to win at least one of two home games Sunday against Penn State Mont Alto to clinch a postseason berth. Two losses, and the team will need help.
On Saturday, junior standout Tarra Oravec (Kiski Area) pitched all 14 innings and struck out 10 while only surrendering two earned runs — both in the second game.
Oravec, the most recent USCAA Player of the Week, came up big again late in the second game. With PSNK down, 3-2, in the sixth, teammate Rachel Lojass hit a game-tying home run. In the next at-bat, Oravec homered again, giving the Lions everything to play for Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District Game of the Week: Assumption at Slippery Rock
- Plum's Ellis, Kondis fare well for Mercyhurst football team
- On campus: Williams, Dukes gearing up for NCAA football playoffs
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area grad Frye top PAC punter at Bethany
- District college roundup: Slippery Rock wins 1st NCAA playoff game since 1998
- W&J’s Toohey named PAC women’s soccer player of year
- Cal U women have ‘banner’ weekend
- Position switch helps St. Vincent freshman Altieri make early impact
- Alle-Kiski Campus Clippings: Huska takes double honor from PSAC
- Buleca off to strong start in 2nd season with Point Park women’s basketball team
- Sports injury discussion set for Cal U