Local college notes: Seton Hill golfers honored by WVIAC
College Football Videos
Two sophomores on the Seton Hill University women's golf team have been honored by the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference for their play during the 2013 season.
Morgan Miller was named to the all-WVIAC second team and Ashley Ward received honorable mention.
Seton Hill finished third with a team total of 689 at the WVIAC Southern Region Championship on in Glade Springs, W.Va., trailing Wheeling Jesuit (661) and West Virginia Wesleyan (681).
Junior Chelsea Sipes was the top individual for Seton Hill, tying for seventh with a two-day total of 169. Nina Gonzalez was tied for 10th at 171, Miller and Ward shared the 16th spot at 173, and senior Brianna Bush was 18th at 179.
Seton Hill freshman Jack Miller was named ECAC Division II Lacrosse League Specialist of the Week. He scored two goals and added one assist during a 2-0 week for the Griffins. Miller also was 15 for 24 in faceoffs and had 11 ground balls and two caused turnovers.
Seton Hill, ranked No. 6 in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Division II poll, will play host to No. 1 Mercyhurst on Saturday for the league's regular-season championship.
Pitt-Greensburg freshman Morgan Russo has been named Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference Player of the Week, batting .435 with two home runs and five RBI during a 4-4 week for the Bobcats.
Russo, who was leading the AMCC in doubles (13) and was second in slugging percentage (.744) and tied for second in total bases (58), also had three stolen bases and six runs scored.
Track and field
The WVIAC honored a pair of Seton Hill women's athletes with its weekly awards: senior Calsie Boyd earned Field Athlete of the Week and sophomore Jeannie Bujdos won Track Athlete of the Week.
Competing in a meet at Bucknell, Boyd's 11.78 meters in the triple jump met an NCAA provisional mark and her 1.71 meters in the high jump bettered her previous NCAA provisional qualifying distance.
Bujdos improved her NCAA provisional mark in the 10K run with a time of 35:50.33.
At the Indiana (Pa.) Ed Fry Invitational, two Seton Hill school records fell. Senior Martina Milcic won the women's shot put with a throw of 12.49 meters, and sophomore Josh Davis posted a time of 4 minutes, 1.88 seconds in the 1,500-meter run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley grad Brennan leads W&J tennis team into PAC finals
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West
- Cal U-IUP vie in Coal Bowl
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- VND Campus clippings: Leechburg graduate Barto picks up initial college victory at Gannon
- Jeannette grad, Mount Union not taking opponent lightly in ‘mismatch”
- District college notebook: Debo sets Edinboro career goals record
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- Former Springdale soccer star creating opportunities for La Roche teammates