Local college notebook: St. Vincent track duo sets marks
College Football Videos
Senior Cam Stumme and freshman Vince Tonzo set meet records for St. Vincent College at the Presidents' Athletic Conference track and field championships at Washington & Jefferson.
Stumme was timed in 9 minutes, 45.54 seconds in the 3,000 steeplechase, and Tonzo ran the 800 meters in 1:54.38, which represented an ECAC qualifying time.
Junior Chansler Poole also won an event for St. Vincent, running the 1,500 meters in 4:03.73.
The 1,600-meter relay team of Tonzo, junior John Joseph, Poole and sophomore Chris Hameed set a St. Vincent record, finishing second and posting an ECAC qualifying time of 3:21.23.
St. Vincent lost to Thiel, 15-13, in the inaugural Presidents' Athletic Conference women's tournament championship game, ending the Bearcats' season at 11-5.
Two of the setbacks came against Thiel (11-7).
Senior Nora Posival's six points (one goal, five assists) led St. Vincent.
The PAC officially will begin sponsoring men's and women's lacrosse in 2014-15.
The St. Vincent women's team edged NCAA Division II Seton Hill, 5-4, during an exhibition match in advance of the NCAA Division III tournament.
St. Vincent earned the Presidents' Athletic Conference automatic qualifying bid to the Division III tournament May 20-25 at Kalamazoo (Mich.) by winning the PAC regular-season championship.
Seniors Stephanie Rubin and Jessican McKetta and sophomore Kylie Auman won singles matches for the Bearcats, who claimed two of three doubles matches — junior Amanda Gans and freshman Shayla Landman teaming for one victory and McKetta and Auman combining for the other.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Senior laden Robert Morris men’s hockey team hopes to erase last season’s disappointment
- District college football preview: Cal (Pa.) visits Slippery Rock in PSAC clash
- Slippery Rock, Cal U in huge showdown
- District college notebook: Geneva women’s volleyball team keeps rolling
- College notes: St. Vincent’s Harbert to retire at end of season
- Jeannette grad Craft running hard for St. Vincent football team
- Campus clippings: Sheerer cards best college finish for St. Bonaventure
- Determination pays off for Ringgold’s Greaves at W&J
- Paced by QB’s epic half, St. Vincent rolls past Thiel
- Vulcans to host Seton Hill
- IUP receiver charged in robbery; another player accused of assault