District college notebook: RMU softball team defends NEC title
College Football Videos
• The Robert Morris softball team (30-15-1) won its third consecutive Northeast Conference regular-season championship after a pair of 9-1 victories over Sacred Heart on Sunday. Junior infielder Chelsea Siar (Shaler) had a .833 slugging percentage, including two home runs last week, to earn conference player of the week honors. The top-seeded Colonials will host LIU-Brooklyn (17-36) in the first round of the conference tournament at 2 p.m. Thursday.
• Point Park junior second baseman Ashley Morran (Trinity) was named the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year after finishing with a .388 average with 44 runs, 56 RBI and 13 home runs.
• Washington & Jefferson junior shortstop Kelsey Cunningham (Peters Township) set a single-season school record with her 60th hit in a 6-3 loss to Geneva on Thursday.
• California (Pa.) junior Chris Avampato (Greensburg Salem) set the school record in the hammer throw (160-5) on Saturday at the Lock Haven Qualifier.
• Westminster freshman Marissa Kalsey (Waynesburg) set a school record Friday in the pole vault (3.97 meters) at the SRU Last Chance Qualifier. Her jump of 3.97 meters ranks third in NCAA Division III.
• Washington & Jefferson edged St. Vincent, 10-8, on Saturday to win the first Presidents' Athletic Conference men's lacrosse tournament.
• Grove City women's basketball coach Michelle Bruns stepped down and was replaced by Chelle Fuss, an assistant at the school for the past seven years.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gateway grad Crystol earns All-American nod on Thiel’s line
- Former California teammates may soon be college rivals
- College notebook: Makara steps down at PSNK
- College football notebook: Date moved up for Pitt-Penn State game