Campus clippings: Butler's Gamble selected for Erie soccer club
College Football Videos
Butler High School graduate Jake Gamble was one of three Penn State Behrend men's soccer players selected to play for the Erie Admirals Soccer Club this summer in the National Premier Soccer League.
Gamble is coming off a season in which he was named the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference offensive player of the year. A senior forward, he scored 22 goals and had four assists in 22 games.
Erie began its season Friday as part of an 11-game schedule.
Track and field
Pitt freshman runner Olivier Philogene (Seneca Valley) was part of the school's 4x400 relay team that competed this weekend at the NCAA East Regional Championship Meet at North Carolina A&T in Greensboro, N.C.
The relay team set the school record of 3:04.16 at the Penn Relays and ranks second in the East Region behind Florida and sixth nationally.
Pitt and Philogene will be trying to qualify for the national championships in Eugene, Ore., on June 5 to 8.
• Duquesne sophomore Danica Snyder (Butler) will compete in the 3000 meter steeplechase at the NCAA East Regional. Snyder finished sixth at the ECAC meet with a time of 10:28.14.
• Duquesne sophomore Evan Gomez (Butler) placed 19th in the 3000 meter steeplechase in 9:13.58 at the IC4A Championship at Princeton.
• Penn State Behrend sophomore Dylan Bilka (Seneca Valley) defeated 17 competitors to win the ECAC pole vault with a height of 16-05.25. He became the school's first athlete to win two ECAC titles in the pole vault. Bilka also was named the Field Athlete of the Year for the Mideast Region. He competed this weekend in the NCAA Division III Championships in La Crosse, Wisc.
The Robert Morris University Varsity 4, which included sophomore Heather Hodges (Mars), competed in the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia. The RMU team won its heat and advanced to the semifinals where the Colonials placed third with a time of 7:56.893, missing the grand final by less than two seconds.
• Duquesne's freshman/novice eight, with freshman Rachel Swain (Butler), also competed at the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta. The team finished second in its heat, advancing to the semifinals where it finished third with a time of 7:17.
Penn State Behrend senior first baseman Vinny Rice (Seneca Valley) was named to the D3baseball.com third-team all-mideast region list. Rice finished second on the team with a .378 batting average. He had 45 hits, 26 RBI, 20 runs, 19 walks and eight doubles, all career highs, while helping the school to a 30-12 record and berth in the NCAA D-III Tournament for the fourth time in program history.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notes: Latrobe grad sets record at Virginia Tech
- Unselfish play helps St. Vincent women to special season
- Campus Clippings: Alle-Kiski swimmers shine at Edinboro
- Mathers shines for St. Vincent women’s basketball team
- District college notes: SVC track team competes in indoor meet
- Cal U women’s basketball team, students share grief before game