Campus Clippings: Freeport graduate Mancine shines at Wooster
College Football Videos
All signs point to Freeport's Jarrod Mancine having a strong senior baseball season at The College of Wooster.
Mancine capped his junior campaign with All-Mid East Region First-Team honors after earning Most Valuable Player honors at the North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament.
An outfielder and leadoff hitter, Mancine had a .733 on-base percentage and seven RBI in the tournament and reached base safely in the Fighting Scots' final 40 games.
In all, he made 44 starts, hit .392, scored 45 runs and drove in 25 for Wooster (33-12), which reached the Mid-East Regional round of the NCAA Division III Tournament.
Two other local players also contributed at Wooster. Junior outfielder Shane Gallagher (Freeport) made 12 starts and played in 35 games, scoring 11 runs and driving in 11.
Junior pitcherZach Klein (Plum) was 1-1 with a 3.98 ERA in 18 appearances.
Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Year Ronit Yurovsky (Plum) reached the second round of the NCAA singles tournament before falling, 6-4, 6-4, to defending champion Nicole Gibbs of Stanford.
Yurovsky finished a team-best 31-9 for the season.
Penn State Behrend
Senior swimmer Clay Altemose (Apollo-Ridge) was named the recipient of the John Zahniser Scholar-Athlete award, given annually to a male and female student-athlete who excel in sports and in the classroom. Altemose was four-time all-conference selection.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cal (Pa.) softball loses slugfest; season comes to an end
- Mercyhurst wins opener at NCAA D-II baseball championships
- Grove City’s Fritz keeps collecting hits
- Cal U softball rallies to remain alive in NCAA D-II tournament
- Penn Hills grad lifts La Roche baseball into playoffs with stellar year
- Cal U softball team trying to stay alive in NCAAs
- Mercyhurst advances to first D-II World Series
- Cal (Pa.) blanked in NCAA softball championship opener
- College notes: Guy continues to set vault records at Virginia
- Campus Clippings: Plum graduate Podvasnik sets La Roche homer mark
- College notes: Liognier Valley grad competing at D-III track championships