District college notes: Latrobe grad named Shippensburg basketball coach
Chris Fite, a former men's assistant basketball coach at St. Vincent College and a graduate of Latrobe High School, has been named men's basketball coach at Shippensburg University.
Fite, who has spent the past seven seasons as a men's basketball assistant at Indiana (Pa.), succeeds Dave Springer, whose contract was not renewed after 12 seasons as coach at Shippensburg.
“It's a fantastic opportunity, and I'm still coming to grips with it,” said Fite, a 1988 graduate of Latrobe. “The potential is there to win, and the program can turn around and become competitive. Other programs at Ship have had success and there's no reason that men's basketball can't, too.”
During his time coaching at IUP, the Crimson Hawks compiled a 149-65 record while qualifying for the NCAA Division II Tournament the past five seasons.
Before arriving at IUP in 2006, Fite spent the 2004-05 season as an assistant at St. Vincent before returning to his alma mater, Rochester, as an assistant in 2005-06.
Fite graduated from Rochester in 1992 with a degree in integrated sciences. A 2005 inductee into the school's Hall of Fame, Fite is Rochester's all-time leading scorer (2,066 points) and shot blocker (179) and ranks second in rebounding (1,023) and field goals made (731).
A 6-foot-9 forward, Fite was a two-time National Association of Basketball Coaches All-American who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the 1990 NCAA Division III Final Four as a sophomore, when Rochester won a Division III championship.
He later played 11 seasons as a professional in Europe.
Academic honor roll
A total of 54 student-athletes at St. Vincent have been named to the 2013 Presidents' Athletic Conference Spring Academic Honor Roll for achieving a grade-point average of at least 3.6.
Here are the honorees by sport (former high schools in parentheses):
• Baseball: Jordan Britcher, Ben Carnahan, Joey Fearer, Matt Loftis, Vince Murphy (Derry), George Muzika, Nolan Russell.
• Basketball: Ashlee Darby, Taylor Mathers, Ariel Rocco, Emily Satkovich.
• Golf: Jack Boros, Jayna Cline (Latrobe), Sam Cline (Latrobe), Derek Lingafelt, Kelsey Linstrum, Nate Nesser, Sarah Rebitch.
• Lacrosse: Kaley Burkardt (Latrobe), Jess Drury, Megan Fisher, Maggie Garvey, Hannah Hackman, Peter Hronis, Sean Kretovics, Matt Mackey, JD Mayer, Helena Shoplik, Bridget Synan, Alex Walsh.
• Softball: Maria Adams, Lynn Buffoni, Shannon Hite, Candace Scanga, Ally Vrcek.
• Swimming and diving: Tanner Beal, Jayna Cline (Latrobe), Katie Custer, Caitlin Dempsey, Mary Kate Kenna, Zach Ligus, Matt Linebaugh, Kelsey Linstrum, Molly McCloskey, Nick Patton, Page Pecora (Ligonier Valley), Molly Ruffner.
• Tennis: Chris Andrejcik, Tony Constantino, Patrick Hiles, Sean Malone, Anthony Nemanic.
• Track and field: Luca Briola, Nick Killen, Justin Petrovich, Chansler Poole.