District college notes: Seton Hill baseball players honored
College Football Videos
Three Seton Hill University baseball players have been named to summer league all-star teams, including sophomore first baseman/outfielder Matt Malacane, who was the North Division MVP with a 2-for-2 performances at the plate during the Virginia-based Valley Baseball League's 2013 all-star game.
Malacane was batting .319 with two doubles and six RBI for the Aldie (Va.) Senators.
The others are senior outfielder Dan Abbennante, who was named to the Myrtle Beach (S.C.) Collegiate League All-Star team, and sophomore righthander Mike Bittel, who was named to the New York Collegiate Baseball League All-Star team.
Abbennante was batting .286 with a team-leading five doubles and eight stolen bases for the Myrtle Beach Bayfrogs, while Bittel was 3-0 with a 0.84 ERA in 32 innings for the Syracuse Jr. Chiefs.
• A total of 84 Seton Hill athletes have been selected to the 2012-13 West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Commissioner's Honor Roll, including Faith Finoli, Tiara Stossel and Justin Weaver — named scholar-athletes of the year at Seton Hill for posting the highest grade-point averages among the school's honorees.
Here is the list of winners: Men — Sam Bashioum, Brent Daviault, Alex Haines, Ryan Hayden and Brandon Jossey, baseball; Max Kenyi, basketball; Jon Bogert, Dom Camasso, Anthony Peluso and Justin Weaver, cross country/track and field; Josh Cavalier, William Chappelear, Sean Kelley and Tyler Zimmer, football.
Jimmy Cogley, Nick Elliott, Alexander Hill, Jon Macurak and Dom Puglise, lacrosse; Kevin Behar, Paul Cornelius, Joe Goirossi, Matt Luchetti, Bovey Massiole, Joe Tchimou and Stefan Walcot, soccer; and Zach Benzio and Stephen Smith, wrestling.
Women — Paige Alviani, Clare Berenato, Katie Gattuso, Megan Mignogna and Tiara Stossel, basketball; Mallory Sanner, basketball/cross country/track and field; Calsie Boyd, Jeannie Bujdos, Megan Cala, Chelsea Cavanaugh, Colleen Davis, Maura Hansen, Mary Janak, Shannon Powell, Chelsae Ruggeri, Janine Sarver, Melissa Seagraves, Kelly Vann, Livia Vissat and Ashton Walton, cross country/track and field.
Molly Follmer, Alexandra Kemp-Thompson, Elania Moorehead and Lauren Sitler, equestrian; Michelle Hogan, Lauren Mariano, Kinsey McKenrick, Rebecca Portillo and Lauren Schumacher, field hockey; Amy Bartolac, Brianna Bush, Nina Gonzalez and Chelsea Sipes, golf; Brittney Anderson, Alexandra Gulli, Kate Linkosky and Siiri Mason, lacrosse; Alysha Alaimo, Heather Apodaca, Madison Gourley, Katelyn Hayes, Kara Lopoyda, Brenna O'Leary and Cayla Walters, soccer.
Felicia Domasky, Beth Sweartzwelder and Stefanie Wiegand, softball; Laura Boord, Rebecca Cenker, Lauren Duffy, Faith Finoli and Megan Hudak, tennis; and Rachel Dindak, Christina Donahoe, Corrine Gahagen and Chelsey Regovich, volleyball.
Approximately 350 wrestlers and more than 2,000 spectators attended the Seton Hill Little Hammers Outdoor Wrestling Tournament, a unique, fundraising event for the school's program, sponsored by the Little Hammers Wrestling Club of Elysburg in Northumberland County.
First-place wrestlers at the event received a sledgehammer champion trophy.
“It is such a fun atmosphere,” Seton Hill coach Brian Tucker said. “The chance to wrestle outside and under the lights adds to the experience for these guys. It was a great way to promote our wrestling program and the university.”
A portion of the proceeds were donated to the Wounded Warrior Project that benefits armed services.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- CCAC-South softball advances to district championships
- College notes: Seton Hill women’s basketball inks 2
- Cal U starting over with annual spring game
- Ex-Freeport star dealing with ‘scary’ ailment returns to Mercyhurst baseball team
- District college notebook: Cal’s Fennell off to hot start in PSAC play
- Seneca Valley grads on the right track at Grove City
- District college notebook: Three local players up for Tino Martinez Award
- St. Vincent unveils logo with an `edge’
- Plum grad Seneca earns NEC softball recognition
- Seton Hill baseball standout McCarthy recovers from accident, rejoins team
- VND campus clippings: Kittanning grad excels as Penn State Behrend decathlete