Colleges notebook: UPG's Witkowski named to NABC Honors Court
College Football Videos
Pitt Greensburg guard Brock Witkowski, who will be a senior on the Bobcats men's basketball team, was recognized for academic achievement by the National Association of Basketball Coaches
Witkowski was one of seven players and a team from members schools in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference to be named to the NABC Honors Court.
The award's criteria requires student-athletes to be either a junior or senior and a member of a varsity team, produce a grade-point average of at least 3.2, and be enrolled for at least a year.
The 6-foot Witkowski led UPG in scoring (10.3 ppg.), assists (3.4) and steals (1.4) in 2012-13.
Penn State Altoona earned a team award, and two of its players — forward Matt Gehret and guard Jordan Stiles — won individual honors.
Other individuals from league schools who were recognized were guards Aaron Patrick and Kyle Baughman, forward Jake Wyatt of Mt. Aloysius and guard Dan Mcfarland of Hilbert.
Seton Hill right-hander Bob Carbaugh, whose 7-0 record for Martha's Vinyard leads the Futures Collegiate Baseball League in winning percentage, was named to a roster spot for the FCL All-Star Game.
His Seton Hill and Martha's Vinyard teammate, infielder Nick Sell, also was selected to play in the game despite missing 13 regular-season games with an ankle injury. Sell was batting .346 with 10 doubles and 15 RBI.
Carbaugh ranked third in the league in strikeouts (39) and sixth in ERA (2.23).
Right-hander Mike Nowicki, a Greensburg Salem High School product, and first baseman Zac Heide, who play for Laurel Auto in the All-American Amateur Baseball Association in Johnstown, were named to the AAABA first team.
Heide batted .388 with three home runs, while Nowicki posted a 5-1 record.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- IUP falls short in Division II men’s basketball title game
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- Seeing divers succeed drives Clarion coach
- IUP men win, reach Elite Eight semifinals
- Ranked La Roche ready to soar into baseball season
- Cal (Pa.) women’s team advances to D-II Final Four
- IUP races to spot in Division II championship game
- District college notebook: Seton Hill baseball team slugs its way to 6-0 week
- Transfers have helped IUP men advance to D-II Elite Eight
- Former Kittanning hockey players raise bar at UPJ