Colleges notebook: UPG's Witkowski named to NABC Honors Court
College Football Videos
Pitt Greensburg guard Brock Witkowski, who will be a senior on the Bobcats men's basketball team, was recognized for academic achievement by the National Association of Basketball Coaches
Witkowski was one of seven players and a team from members schools in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference to be named to the NABC Honors Court.
The award's criteria requires student-athletes to be either a junior or senior and a member of a varsity team, produce a grade-point average of at least 3.2, and be enrolled for at least a year.
The 6-foot Witkowski led UPG in scoring (10.3 ppg.), assists (3.4) and steals (1.4) in 2012-13.
Penn State Altoona earned a team award, and two of its players — forward Matt Gehret and guard Jordan Stiles — won individual honors.
Other individuals from league schools who were recognized were guards Aaron Patrick and Kyle Baughman, forward Jake Wyatt of Mt. Aloysius and guard Dan Mcfarland of Hilbert.
Seton Hill right-hander Bob Carbaugh, whose 7-0 record for Martha's Vinyard leads the Futures Collegiate Baseball League in winning percentage, was named to a roster spot for the FCL All-Star Game.
His Seton Hill and Martha's Vinyard teammate, infielder Nick Sell, also was selected to play in the game despite missing 13 regular-season games with an ankle injury. Sell was batting .346 with 10 doubles and 15 RBI.
Carbaugh ranked third in the league in strikeouts (39) and sixth in ERA (2.23).
Right-hander Mike Nowicki, a Greensburg Salem High School product, and first baseman Zac Heide, who play for Laurel Auto in the All-American Amateur Baseball Association in Johnstown, were named to the AAABA first team.
Heide batted .388 with three home runs, while Nowicki posted a 5-1 record.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Slippery Rock’s Greene rushes to top of D-II list
- Jeannette grad Craft emerging as a top offensive threat for St. Vincent
- District college notebook: CMU goalie helps women’s team to No. 4 ranking
- District college notebook: St. Vincent men’s soccer rallies for victory
- Mars grad returns from injury, shines for Kent State women’s soccer
- District college football preview: Gannon, Clarion clash with top defenses
- A-K Valley campus clippings: Ex-Valley standout McNabb enters IUP Hall of Fame
- District college notes: UPG tennis stays perfect
- Baldwin grads key to Carlow women’s soccer offense