Local college notebook: St. Vincent rivalry soccer match gets name
College Football Videos
The men's soccer match between St. Vincent and Pitt Greensburg on Wednesday was named “The Rivals Cup.” The match will begin at 4 p.m. at UPG's Ridilla Field.
St. Vincent coach Keith Harmon said this will be something great for the two programs and should be exciting for the players, coaches and fans. It's a natural rivalry.
St. Vincent is 1-6 and UPG is 0-6.
Bearcats runners roll
The St. Vincent men's cross country team took the top five spots and rolled to an easy victory at the Waynesburg University Invitational on Saturday.
The Bearcats scored 15 points and second place Waynesburg had 55. Chansler Poole placed first followed by Eric Painter, Sawyer Palonder, Andrew Razanauskas and Vince Tonzo. Brandon Holmes ended up finishing seventh.
The St. Vincent women, led by Genie Fratto who finished third overall, placed second at the Delaware Invitational. Gettysburg was first with 33 points, followed by St. Vincent with 91.
Rachael Paszko was the other top 10 finisher for the Bearcats; she placed sixth.
Rebitch leads SVC golfers
Senior Sarah Rebitch won her first collegiate tournament by shooing an 89 to help St. Vincent to a win at the Thiel Invitational. Senior Jayna Cline finished third overall with a 96 while freshman Samantha Firestone finished fourth. The event was held at Tam O'Shanter Golf Course at Hermitage.
St. Vincent's total score was 387, followed by Westminster (401) and Thiel (448).
Weekend hockey event
The Allegheny Hockey Association will host a “Welcome Back Hockey” event Saturday and Sunday at Center Ice Arena in Delmont.
One of the events will be a sled hockey game between Buffalo and the Pittsburgh Mighty Penguins on at noon Sunday.
The game will be played by athletes with disabilities using special sleds to move around on the ice.
The game will feature four players who are on the USA National Sled Hockey team.
Admission to the game is free.
Center Ice also will have half-price admission and skate rental for public skating sessions both days.
A hockey training open house and skill competitions, both on and off the ice, will be at various times during the weekend.
There will be specials both days on hockey equipment and apparel at the arena.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college game of the week: Washington & Jefferson at Mount Union
- Thiel big man Mallinger thrives on rejection
- Campus clippings: Collins helps Shippensburg return to nationals
- District college notebook: IUP senior puts Stamp on program
- Hampton grad’s return from injury buoys La Roche College womens soccer
- District football roundup: W&J advances in Division III playoffs; Slippery Rock ousted
- Thomas Jefferson grads competing with new Carlow men’s basketball team
- Campus clippings: Springdale grad nets All-PAC honors
- Cal U falls to Findlay after earning No. 22 ranking