Plum grad earns MVP honors in volleyball tourney triumph for Penn State-Behrend
College Football Videos
Penn State-Behrend senior volleyball player Chelsea Magnusen, a Plum graduate, earned Morrisville State (N.Y.) Tournament Most Valuable Player honors as the Lions went undefeated last Friday and Saturday to capture the championship.
Behrend won four matches at the tournament and improved to 10-1 overall after a season-opening loss to Westminster at the Westminster Tournament.
On Saturday, Magnusen finished the first match two aces away from a triple-double. She dished out 21 assists, 11 digs and a career-best eight aces.
Magnusen completed her two-day tournament with 28 assists in the tournament-clinching victory over host Morrisville.
Fellow Plum graduate and Behrend freshman Alyssa Samarco earned a spot on the all-tournament team, as she posted seven kills and three blocks in the Morrisville win.
In action on the first day of the tournament, Samarco led the attack against Keystone College with nine kills and a team-best six aces, while Magnusen tallied 25 assists, six digs, three aces and three blocks.
Behrend also upended D'Youville on day one, and Magnusen registered 23 assists, seven digs, four kills and two blocks.
Samarco added nine kills, two blocks and two aces.
Behrend hosts Grove City in its final nonconference match before beginning Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference action with Franciscan and Penn-State-Altoona on Sept. 28.
The Lions were selected to finish first in the AMCC preseason coaches poll, and Magnusen was tabbed as the preseason player of the year.
The Behrend women's volleyball team is playing this season with heavy hearts and thoughts for former teammate Catherine Healy, who was killed in a June car crash near her Connellsville home.
Healy, a conference all-star in 2012, was set to be a team captain with Magnusen this season as a junior.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notebook: Cal’s Fennell off to hot start in PSAC play
- Westminster senior Jones finds groove on mound
- College notes: St. Vincent’s Kenna honored by ORLC
- Cal U softballers successful again
- Campus clippings: Ailing back doesn’t slow Allegheny’s Killian
- IUP falls short in Division II men’s basketball title game
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- Ranked La Roche ready to soar into baseball season
- ‘BVA Connection’ at St. Vincent
- Former Kittanning hockey players raise bar at UPJ
- Munhall’s Strom helps Cal (Pa.) rise to the top