Carnegie Mellon's Witt named conference athlete of week
Carnegie Mellon sophomore running back Troy Witt (Seneca Valley) was named the University Athletic Association athlete of the week for his performance in the Tartans' 26-7 victory against Allegheny on Sept. 14.
Witt registered his first 100-yard game, finishing with 103 yards rushing and the first two touchdowns of his career. He averaged 6.4 yards per carry and caught three passes for 40 yards.
Witt is second on the Tartans with 147 rushing yards through two games, and he's third with five catches.
• Washington & Jefferson sophomore linebacker Jon Turner (Freeport) is tied for third on the team with 14 tackles, including nine solo. He also leads the Presidents with two sacks.
• St. Francis (Pa.) senior defensive lineman Brody Maughan-Evanson (Mars) has four tackles, including one for a loss, and a forced fumble for the Red Flash through two games. Teammate and linebacker Dylan Bear (Mars) has five tackles.
• Indiana (Pa.) redshirt sophomore linebacker Jeff Palmer (Seneca Valley) has seven tackles, including one for a loss, and one sack for the Crimson Hawks, who are No. 8 in the Division II rankings.
Men's cross country
Competing as an unattached runner, Slippery Rock alum Eric Geddis (Seneca Valley) won the Mack Cooper Classic on the university's cross country course at Cooper's Lake. Geddis, who graduated in 2013, finished with a time of 26 minutes, 11.18 seconds.
Slippery Rock finished second in the team competition and placed all five of its scorers in the top 11 places. Junior runner Chris Grooms (Butler) finished eighth in 26:48.
Washington & Jefferson sophomore Adam Suter (Butler) was nominated as Presidents' Athletic Conference player of the week. Suter scored two goals in a 3-0 victory against Pitt-Greensburg. He leads the Presidents with five points while helping the team to a 3-2 record.
Westminster senior Heather Santa (Butler), like her team, is unbeaten on the season. Santa has a 5-0 record, 4-0 in Presidents' Athletic Conference matches. Santa is 4-0 at No. 4 singles, with her other win coming at No. 3 singles.
• Waynesburg junior Madison DuBrock (Mars) is 4-1, 2-1 in PAC play. She also is 1-0 while playing No. 1 singles.
• Chatham freshman Shireen Ghaznavi (Mars) has a team-best 3-3 record while competing mostly at No. 3 singles.
Clarion redshirt junior Carlie Bieranowski (Freeport) leads the Golden Eagles with 73.5 points and 65 kills while helping her team to a 7-0 record in nonconference play.