Local college notebook: St. Vincent baseball team gets some work
College Football Videos
Even though the annual alumni baseball doubleheader was rained out on Saturday, St. Vincent coach Mick Janosko was able to watch his team compete in a couple exhibition games Sunday against Penn State Fayette.
Veteran pitchers Steve Janik (Greensburg Central Catholic) and Max Henry (Latrobe) looked sharp in their outings, and Janosko got to watch many of his 31 freshmen in game action.
Among the freshmen Janosko has high hopes for are outfielder Luke Fox and pitcher/first baseman Greg Martin of Hempfield, first baseman Bobby Thompson of Blairsville and infielder/pitcher Luke Spisak of Yough.
Janosko puts his players through various intrasquad games and exhibition games during the fall.
Poole leads SVC to win
Chansler Poole breezed to an eight-second victory to lead the St. Vincent men's cross country team in the 2013 SVC Invitational on Saturday.
Poole ran the five-mile course in 26 minutes, 34 seconds. Teammates Sawyer Palonder finished fourth, Eric Porter sixth, Andrew Razanauskas seventh, Vincent Tonzo, eighth and Brandon Holmes was ninth.
The Bearcats finished with 26 points followed by Oberlin (Ohio) with 31.
The St. Vincent women placed third with 82 points in the invitational behind Oberlin (29 points) and Pitt (45).
Pitt's Rachel Brown was the overall winner, finishing with an 18:53.8. Genie Fratto led the Bearcats with a sixth-place finish, and Rachel Paszko ended up ninth.
Bearcats win cup
The St. Vincent men's soccer team won the inaugural Westmoreland Cup by defeating rival Pitt Greensburg, 3-0, on Sept. 18.
The goal scorers were Kevin Proctor, Luke D'Amico (Mt. Pleasant) and Christian Trueax. Goalkeeper Eric Houghton had five saves in the shutout.
St. Vincent is 2-6.
SVC golfers host invitational
The St. Vincent women's golf team finished fifth in its annual invitational at Glengarry Golf Links, Unity, on Sept. 19. Notre Dame (Ohio) took home top honors with a 333. Point Park placed second with a 352.
Sarah Rebitch led St. Vincent with a sixth-place finish. She shot a 14-over-par 84.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college game of the week: Washington & Jefferson at Mount Union
- West Virginia outlasts Boston College, 70-66
- District college notebook: IUP senior puts Stamp on program
- Pitt-Greensburg men return experienced lineup
- Thiel big man Mallinger thrives on rejection
- Seton Hill men prepare for 2nd year in PSAC
- Duquesne gets better of Robert Morris again
- Campus clippings: Collins helps Shippensburg return to nationals
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock seeks first NCAA playoff win since 1998
- Thomas Jefferson grads competing with new Carlow men’s basketball team