District college notes: WCCC baseball hosting golf outing
College Football Videos
The Westmoreland County Community College baseball team's annual golf outing will be Oct. 6 at Glengarry Golf Links. The event will begin with a 1:30 p.m. shotgun start.
Anyone interested in signing up a foursome or individuals wishing to play should contact either Mike Draghi at 724-454-2802 or email@example.com or Terry Mularski at 724-858-6871 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost is $80 per person.
Tee box sponsorships are available for $25.
Pitt-Greensburg comes up short
The St. Vincent men's soccer team won the inaugural Westmoreland Cup by defeating rival Pitt-Greensburg, 3-0, on Sept. 18.
The goal scorers were Kevin Proctor, Luke D'Amico (Mt. Pleasant) and Christian Trueax.
Goalkeeper Eric Houghton had five saves in the shutout.
Pitt-Greensburg bounced back Saturday to defeat Thiel, 1-0, in overtime.
SVC golfers host invitational
The St. Vincent women's golf team finished fifth in its annual invitational at Glengarry Golf Links, Unity, on Sept. 19. Notre Dame (Ohio) took home top honors with a 333. Point Park placed second with a 352. Sarah Rebitch (Greensburg Salem) led St. Vincent with a sixth place finish. She shot a 14-over 84.
Local volleyball players shine
• Washington & Jefferson senior outside hitter Samantha Chorney (Greensburg Central Catholic) had 11 kills and five digs, but it wasn't enough against Thomas More in a Presidents Athletic Conference volleyball match. Thomas More defeated W&J, 3-1.
• Indiana (Pa.) improved to 3-7 thanks to a strong performance from Lisa Kissell (Greensburg Salem), who had 10 kills as IUP defeated Notre Dame (Ohio) and West Virginia State, 3-1.
Paul Schofield is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Schofield_Trib.
Seton Hill gameday
Sox Harrison Stadium, Edinboro
Records: Seton Hill (0-3 overall, 0-1 PSAC–West); Edinboro (1-2, 0-1 PSAC)
Notable: Seton Hill fell to No. 8 Indiana (Pa.), 26-0, at Offutt Field on Saturday, while Edinboro failed to score an offensive touchdown in a 20-7 loss at California (Pa.). … Edinboro was missing four offensive starters, including all-conference quarterback Cody Harris, and committed five turnovers. … Former GCC star Joe Sullivan, a sophomore, is a backup center at Edinboro. … Seton Hill, which struggled offensively against IUP, had two missed field goals. … The defense, however, limited IUP to 286 total yards and intercepted three passes (Ricardo Housen, Phillip Moreland and Chase Parker). … This is the first meeting between the schools.
St. Vincent gameday
1 p.m. Saturday
Chuck Noll Field, Latrobe
TV/radio: WCNS-AM (1480)
Records: Westminster (0-2 overall, 0-1 Presidents Athletic Conference); St. Vincent (0-2, 0-1 PAC)
Notable: Westminster won 17-6 in 2012. … Both teams are coming off losses. Westminster fell, 31-0, to Thomas More, while St. Vincent dropped a 23-6 decision at Waynesburg. … St. Vincent scored first against Waynesburg when Matt Duffey caught a 63-yard touchdown pass from Andy Borgen. … SV defensive back Darius Brown had five tackles and broke up two passes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport grad Turner is leader among Presidents
- Campus clippings: Keeper Daughtry scores a goal for Waynesburg
- District college notes: SVC women’s tennis takes 3rd in PAC
- District roundup: Slippery Rock beat IUP, snaps losing streak
- St. Vincent offensive system fits Jeannette graduate Craft
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- District college notebook: Wydo scores 3 goals for Robert Morris, Colonials tie Army
- Soccer-playing Belacks pushing each other at PSU Behrend