Campus clippings: Freeport grad Bieranowski helps Clarion
College Football Videos
Junior Carlie Bieranowski has played a valuable role in the Clarion women's volleyball team's season-opening string of perfection.
A Freeport graduate, Bieranowski has posted 123 kills and 69 digs in helping Clarion to its second 14-0 start in school history.
A 5-foot-10 outside hitter, Bieranowski had 14 kills in the most recent action for the Golden Eagles, recording 14 kills in a two-match sweep of Shippensburg and Millersville in the Crossover at California (Pa.) event.
Redshirt freshman Matt Lehman (Burrell) grabbed his first college touchdown catch in Clarion's 45-25 loss to Gannon, the Golden Eagles' first loss of the season.
Lehman (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) went up to get a high pass on the left side of the end zone to complete a 45-yard scoring play. For the season, Lehman has recorded three receptions for 58 yards.
Three area players are starting for the Bearcats' defense. Two of them are linemen, senior Mitch DePellegrini (Fox Chapel) and freshman Nick Nitowski (Burrell). Sophomore Renny Larue-Holloman (Fox Chapel) is a cornerback.
Depellegrini has 16 tackles, a sack and two blocked kicks, Nitowski has 11 tackles, including three for losses, and Holloman has a team-high 13 solo tackles and a pair of fumble recoveries for the Bearcats (0-3, 0-2 PAC).
Junior defensive end Cody McClelland (Freeport) continues to be multi-dimensional for the Tomcats (0-4).
Not only has he made 10 tackles and recorded a sack, but he is averaging 39.5 yards as the team's punter.
He's has two 50-plus yard punts.
He also kicks off and is averaging 47.5 yards on 19 kicks.
Senior goalkeeper Jason Barberino (Plum) is 2-5 in net this season, making 32 saves in his eight starts with one shutout.
Sophomore goalkeeper Erica Roney (Springdale) has 16 saves in four games this season, and freshman forward Natalie Richards (Highlands) has made two starts for the Pioneers (4-6).
— Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gateway grad Parrish ready to do his part for Panthers
- Jeannette an ‘important school’ to St. Vincent football coach Dolciato
- Kellar feels Vulcans can be playoff threat
- D3 football preview: Last year’s impact freshmen look to avoid sophomore jinx
- Freeport grad Turner hard to miss for Washington & Jefferson
- Cal (Pa.) women’s volleyball seeks strong follow-up to last year’s PSAC title season
- District college notes: WCCC duo continuing college baseball careers
- District college notebook: RMU’s Brett nets 2nd 4-goal game of career
- District college notebook: Penn State women’s soccer team off to good start
- Slippery Rock DE Martin plans to bedevil quarterbacks