District college notebook: Hancock a force for PSU volleyball team
College Football Videos
• Junior volleyball player Micha Hancock helped the No. 5 Nittany Lions (12-2, 3-1) to road victories against Big Ten foes Indiana and No. 24 Purdue, averaging 10.4 assists per set en route to earning Big Ten Setter of the Week. She leads the nation with 0.86 service aces per set.
• Junior soccer goalkeeper Ashley Magruda (Belle Vernon) recorded her fourth consecutive shutout as the No. 19 Vulcans beat No. 25 Gannon, 3-0, on Saturday. Cal (7-2-1, 7-1 PSAC) scored three goals in a 10-minute span late in the second half, extending its winning streak to seven games. As a team, the Vulcans haven't allowed a goal in more than 575 minutes.
Penn State Behrend
• Freshman women's soccer player Alex Bilka (Seneca Valley) scored four goals last week, helping the Lions to two victories. Her team-high eight goals rank fourth in the conference.
• Senior women's soccer player Frances Silva was named National Soccer Coaches Association of America Player of the Week after scoring twice in a 2-1 victory over Texas on Friday. She has eight goals and 10 assists this season, and her 26 points lead the Big 12 and rank 14th in the country.
• Senior tennis player Caitie Hosler went unbeaten in three singles and three doubles matches last week, helping the Titans improve to 14-0.
• The Duquesne women's soccer team improved to 4-0-1 in its past five games with a 3-1 victory over St. Bonaventure in its Atlantic 10 opener on Saturday. The unbeaten streak is the Dukes' longest since 2002.
• The No. 1-ranked West Virginia rifle team opened the season with a victory against Ohio State on Saturday.
• Penn State senior guard Maggie Lucas, the reigning Big Ten Player of the Year, was named to the preseason watch list for the Wade Trophy, which is given to the top Division I women's basketball player in the country.
• IUP senior basketball player Mathis Keita was an honorable mention All-America selection by the Division II Bulletin. The Crimson Hawks, who open the season Nov. 13, were picked 15th in the preseason poll.
• The three-time defending national champion Penn State wrestling team earned the No. 1 preseason ranking from Intermat. Among the individuals to receive preseason rankings were junior Nico Megaludis (Franklin Regional), who is No. 2 at 125 pounds, and redshirt freshman Jimmy Gulibon (Derry), who is No. 11 at 133.
• Edinboro junior All-American wrestler A.J. Schopp was chosen to compete in the prestigious NWCA All-Star Classic on Nov. 2 at George Mason in Fairfax, Va. Penn State's David Taylor, Matt Brown and Ed Ruth also will participate.
• Penn State christens Pegula Ice Arena when it takes on Army at 8 p.m. Friday.
• Robert Morris opens the season with road games against Lake Superior State at 7:37 p.m. Friday and 5:07 p.m. Saturday.
• Mercyhurst travels to the Icebreaker Tournament this weekend in Minneapolis. The Lakers take on Minnesota, which is ranked No. 5 in the preseason poll, at 7:35 p.m. Friday. Mercyhurst then plays Clarkson or No. 13 New Hampshire on Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cal U 2014-15 Hall of Fame class set
- College notebook: Seton Hill baseball team signs 4
- Fox Chapel grad nabs all-conference women’s soccer honor at Allegheny
- Jeannette native vying for D-III football title with Mount Union